SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nonnie_ga

Something Screwy with Shield Deluxe 2008

Nonnie_GA
15 years ago

I received a message on my laptop saying that my Spyware,The Shield Deluxe 2008, was not enabled and to check with their secuity.

I went to my software and checked it and it says that it is on and is working. What gives on this?

Also, I am trying to get System Restore to restore back to an earlier date and get a message saying it cannot restore. I have tried to restore to several different dates and it will not work.

I have a Toshiba with Vista, AMD Turion and 2 GB Ram.

Comments (8)

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

oh nonnie where did you get that program? that is NOT a true antispyware program that is a ROGUE program that gives false positives and fake info to entice people to buy it. That is not something you want on your pc. I will show you the info posted on the highly regarded spywarewarriors list about all products made and sold by pcsecurityshield.

Listed on spywarewarriors Rogue list:
    false positives work as goad to purchase; poor, misleading scan reporting; deceptive advertising/"scan" on home page (1); advertises through adware (1); recruits affiliates through spam (1); dubious corp. associations (1); same app as Spyblocs 3.0, MySpyFreePC, iSpyKiller, SamuraiSpy, & Spy Crusher; also from this domain: The Shield 2004, PC Security Shield - (Note: other domains associated w/ Privacy Defender include: clixtrader.net, pcsecuritysheild.com, pcsecuritywall.com, pctoolworks2004.com, pctoolworks2005.com, threatlevel.com) [A: 6-26-04 / U: 9-7-05]

It was formerly known as privacy defender and many other names, these companies keep changing the names to try to get people to fall for them and give them their credit card info.
    Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware Products
    That is the best place to check for if it is a good valid program or a scam.

Now did you buy that with a credit card online? IF so you need to be very very careful and watch that thing like a hawk in fact I would call the CC company and inform them you purchased a rogue program unknowingly. What they wanted was your CC info.

Then you need to get that off your pc and we will need to do some cleaning to get everything it infected you with off.
    go to add remove programs and select it to delete it.

You will need to go get these 2 programs both are free and very good trustworthy programs, install them, update them and run the scans let them clean what they find.

SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

* Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
    * At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.
    * If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    * Once the program has loaded, select Perform full scan, then click Scan.
    * When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    * Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
    * When completed, a log will open in Notepad. Please save it to a convenient location. The log can also be found here: C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs\log-date.txt

then you will need to go do an online virus scan because it might have disabled your antivirus program... What are you using on your PC for an antivirus program by the way??
    Get a FREE Online Virus Scan you will have to use Internet Explorer for this scan.

How exactly did you come by getting the Shield??

this is the link to the company pcsecurityshield on the malware domains list also.
    pcsecurityshield.com
    That site has a FULL RED listing with WOT and McAfee site advisor. In fact when I try to go to the website it is totally blocked I get a big Red Flag warning page.

• Nonnie_GA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OMG, ravencajun! I bought this after asking several employees of Micro-Center if it was a good and safe one. I'll know better next time.

I going to do all of your suggestions and, hopefully, it will do what I need.

Thanks for your help.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

well if you did not buy it online that is good. But I can not believe they told you it was good. It is red listed all over the place. When you can find a company name listed on spywarewarriors rogue list you can be sure it is NOT something you want. Unfortunately a lot of people don't know to check his site and the others out there that do the testing and the red lists.

In fact the person that owns pcsecurityshield has been going around on sites like siteadvisor and posting false "positive" reviews to try to get a green rating and he now has raised his rating at site advisor but NOT at WOT. and the true ratings and comments on site advisor tell the story.

On one of the security forums I am on one of the guys tried to go to the site and download it to see what would happen, this is his reply about what his Antivirus program had to say
    "i was going to try and download pcsecurityshields stuff but avira antivir pe classic went off with

Virus or unwanted program 'HTML/Infected.WebPage.Gen [HTML/Infected.WebPage.Gen]'
    detected in file 'C:\Documents and Settings\x86master\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\H28Z70CI\company-info-5290-PCSecurityShield[1].htm.
    Action performed: Deny access"

His AV blocked him immediately with warnings.

That site is also blocked by the MVPS hosts file
    MVPS Hosts file :

127.0.0.1 pcsecurityshield.com #[Rogue/Suspect]
    127.0.0.1 banners.pcsecurityshield.com
    127.0.0.1 clickbank.pcsecurityshield.com
    127.0.0.1 downloads.pcsecurityshield.com
    127.0.0.1 partners.pcsecurityshield.com #[directtrack.com]
    127.0.0.1 regnow.pcsecurityshield.com
    127.0.0.1 shop.pcsecurityshield.com
    127.0.0.1 trk.pcsecurityshield.com #[affiliatetracking.net]
    127.0.0.1 www.pcsecurityshield.com #[SiteAdvisor.pcsecurityshield.com]

one really interesting fact about them is that the firewall they SELL is actually a free product anyone can go and download totally free from Comodo. Comodo is catching much flack from the security community for now having a tie in with a rogue company, much drama going on over that.
    In essence what this company is now doing is trying to buy the rights to use some "legit" programs under their branding so that they can now say oh look we are going legit we have good stuff, so now some of their products do have some legit programs but which ones? and how is anyone to know or trust them? Once you are a crook and a con and a liar People tend to not want you putting security products on their pc. At least none of the people I know LOL I mean is that not a lot like letting the fox guard the hen house?

If you are using 3rd party hosts file, you will notice that pcsecurityshield.com is listed which means it's blocked to communicate to your computer.

If you are using SiteHound by Firetrust, you cannot view pcsecurityshield.com because it's blacklisted.

If you are using SiteAdvisor by McAfee, you will be warned that pcsecurityshield.com is RED X.
    Same with WOT weboftrust RED listed.

• Nonnie_GA
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ravencajun, again, thanks for your information.

I have one question I would like to ask. On another thread posted here, you told the original poster that you would never tell anyone to go in the Registry and delete files. When I ran SuperAntiSpyware, it came back with a number of detected problems in the Registry. What should I do about SuperAntiSpyware deleting from the Registry?

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

that is totally different than a registry cleaner anything that superantispyware wants to clean you can let it clean, often times infections plant themselves into the registry and an antivirus or antispyware program must get in there and remove those parts of the infection also so that is fine.

What I do not recommend or use is a dedicated program that is a registry cleaner type program.

superantispyware and malwarebytes are very trusthworthy and you can trust that if they say it must be cleaned then it is fine to do so.

• colleenarn
    15 years ago

I simply want to remove this from my computer and each time I try to remove it states that I don't have sufficient authorization to do so. The license has expired and I have tried many differant ways except going into the utility area of my computer..what should I try next? Help!

• zep516
    15 years ago

Try this,

Step 1:
    Open up the options for the program and disable automatic startup, meaning it will no longer activate when you restart the computer. The actual process for doing this varies by version of The Shield, but it is always in a prominent spot of the program's options.

Step 2:
    Restart your computer and verify that it's not running.

Step 3:
    Open the control panel and select "Programs and Features" in Vista or "Add/Remove Programs" in older versions of Windows.

Step 4:
    Find The Shield Deluxe in your list of available programs and click "Remove."

Step 5:
    Read the choices in the uninstall wizard that pops up. Remove all aspects of the program, including definitions, the protected vaults and user configuration data.

Step 6:
    Wait until the wizard finishes, and then restart your computer a second time.

Tips & Warnings

* If all of the parts of the program aren't removed, it's sometimes easier to reinstall the program and then take it off again rather than try to find all the left behind bits.

• zep516
    15 years ago

"don't have sufficient authorization to do so"

Remember on Vista you sometimes have to right click and Choose "Adminstrator" to perform some operations.