SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohioamy

quarry tile = pizza stone?

ohioamy
18 years ago

This is my first time posting here in the cooking section, hope someone might be able to help me.

After countless soggy homemade pizzas baked on cookie sheets, I'd really like to have a proper pizza stone. I have the Alton Brown book "Alton Brown's Gear for Your Kitchen," in which he mentions that he uses a "well-placed, unglazed quarry tile---ninety-nine cents---from a building supply store" rather than a forty-dollar pizza stone.

At first glance I thought the stone he was referring to would be a piece of actual rock---like flagstone---since he used the word 'quarry'---but he also writes that the "thick slab of unglazed ceramic stoneware provides an evenly heated, very hot baking surface for dough and the porous clay absorbs moisture," and that "Unglazed pavers, or quarry tiles, aren't actually designed as pizza stones but will work well and for a fraction of the cost of composite stone." He says to use one that's at least an inch thick and that you don't ever have to remove it from the oven. Is he referring instead to the inexpensive clay circular/square pavers that can be had for a couple of bucks? All of the actual stone I checked out was selling for $8/square foot, which would end up being $30 or $40. Just want to make sure that I'm buying the right thing, don't want it to explode in my oven!

thanks,

Amy

Comments (18)