SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxyplx

IE8 Slow Loading

mxyplx
12 years ago

IE8 is slow to load. 13 seconds initially and same for each new tab. FF7, Google, and Iron take about 2-3 seconds; tabs even faster. I used a timer - didn't just guess. I googled the problem found 4 solutions:

1) Re-register/install regsvr32 actxprxy.dll

2) Remove certain folders from the registry

3) Uncheck 'Automatically detect settings' in the LAN Settings. (It wasn't checked anyway)

4) Modify add-ons & extensions - I have none on any browser except whatever was there as default - pretty much running bare bomes-

None worked. At least for me.

I don't use IE8 all that much so therefore made FF7 the default browser - big improvement timewise. I didn't really notice the IE8 problem till I gave up on Zone Alarm and installed Online Armor. Can't believe that causes it. Well it most certainly does because I deactivated OA and the IE8 loads as fast or faster than the other browsers.

Now thinking about it IE8 was slow loading with ZA installed too tho not quite as slow - but I never thot to measure it with a timer. Sure not going to re-install it.

Why would OA or ZA do that to IE? Something in IE?? Any thots?

====================

Incidently, when I switched from ZA to OA I considered MSE, OA, PCTools, Comodo.

I used the site below for a start. Each of these firewalls is the world's absolute best - they said so themselves. :-)

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall.htm#Quick_Selection_Guide

Comments (4)