SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muffn

Critique please! Don Gardner vs. Frank Betz plan

10 years ago

Help please :)

Initially we were set on a Garrell plan - the Natahala or Amicalola. Then, we transitioned to the Broad Creek, which has a simpler elevation. However, the one thing I don't love about these Garrell plans is the odd-shaped kitchen. I prefer a square-ish kitchen facing the great room. So, we ended up finding a Don Gardner plan and a Frank Betz plan that we like. I took both plans and customized them in photoshop so I could see what my modification ideas could look like. Please critique!

Background: We own a 7.5 acre lot with a nice sloping area for a daylight walk out. We plan on putting in a pool (again). We're a family of 5 - boy (3), girl (5) and girl (13) - plus a great dane :) We both work at home and like to entertain.

Here is our list of wants:
--1 1/2 level home with approx. 2,500 - 3,200 sq ft on main level
-1 bdrm with full bath/walk-in AND a big office in the bonus space above the garage area (you can't see this in my posts, but both plans can have this)
--4 bdrms on main level: master with 2 walk-ins, 2 kids bdrms with jack & jill bath and walk-ins and a guest bdrm with full bath.
--L-shaped or angled layout with forward-facing, 3-car garage (works well with our lot shape)
--Great room approx. 20x20' with cathedral ceiling connected to kitchen area (no barrier in between)
--Open concept kitchen with large, connected eating area that will take the place of a formal dining room
--Screened porch (at least 12x12')
--porch and / or open deck
--front porch (can be small)
--Study for computers, homework, reading, etc. (I typically make the formal dining area in plans into a study by enclosing it with french and/or pocket doors).
--Bigger-than-average mudroom / laundry room combo
--Unfinished, daylight walk-out basement (for now)
--We like craftsman and french country styles, but open to others
--Bonus: sun room / keeping room with lots of windows connected to kitchen and screened porch area (A nice spot for adults to sit and converse).

The first plan I'm posting is a modified Frank Betz River Gate plan with the Liberty Ridge angled garage and upper bonus and bedroom. The Glen Abbey elevation is a 2nd option for this plan's elevation.

Here is a link that might be useful: original Frank Betz River Gate plan

Comments (17)