SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
not2bright

Another .NET Framework Query

not2bright
14 years ago

Hi,

Problem: I wanted to try out a Xobni extension with my Outlook 2003, but the download was interrupted/paused to tell me I didn't have the right .NET framwork version. So, I agreed to get whatever one the program suggested. (I wasn't really paying attention, but I think it was 2.0.) It took a while, but it installed well, and then the Xobni download/installation proceeded w/o incident.

BUT... a few hours later, on a whim, I checked out my Add/Remove Programs page (with Updates) and noticed that I have:

Version 2.0 SP 2 (184 mb)

Version 3.0 SP 2 (179 mb)

Version 3.5 SP 1 (28 mb)

The first two show installation today, but I know I wasn't downloading 350+ mb worth of updates. I don't know how that much .NET stuff could've downloaded. The last one above has no date.

Also, the 'parts' of each of the above items/versions that are listed in Add/Remove Programs aren't identical.

In addition, I went to Windows Updates to do a Custom scan and I'm told that I need:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417)

and

Update to .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 for the .NET Framework Assistant 1.0 x86 (KB963707)

Oy !

I'm trying to figure out why my Xobni download + installation said I need 2.0 if, in fact, I already had 3.0. But my main question is, are things as they should be ? Or do I need to address something before I get some sort of compatibility issue ?

Thanks !

Scott

Comments (2)