SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andreagb_gw

difference betw enameled and regular cast-iron cookware?

andreagb
17 years ago

Newbie delurking (on this forum, anyway) to ask what I hope is not too basic of a question.

I am dying to try that Mark Bittman miracle bread recipe, and am interested in some of the enamelware (enameled cast iron) people here have raved about. But I'm cheap. And I'm also blessed with bad timing, as KMart doesn't seem to carry the Martha Stewart stuff anymore, and my local Tuesday Morning doesn't have any LC (in November, I passed up a 5-qt for $50 and am now kicking myself!). Nothing in Marshalls, though I should probably just keep going back there.

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying the regular cast-iron instead. Amazon has the Lodge preseasoned 5-qt dutch oven for $30 and free shipping. But we have a 12" cast-iron skillet that's losing its seasoning, and it's kind of a pain. I'm not sure I feel like dealing with a dutch oven if that should happen.

I'm wondering if there's some special difference between regular and enameled cast iron that might either cause me to go for the Lodge or bite the bullet and buy the enamelware. What do you think? TIA, everyone.

Comments (11)