SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andig_gw

what size subway tile for bath surround?

andig
9 years ago

Hello: I love this forum and used it about 7 years ago when I did a kitchen in another house. Now I am redoing a smallish bathroom in a 1920's bungalow, and I want it to be old fashioned but girly and elegant. Right now my issue is this: I purchased 2 1/2 x 5 Grazie subway tiles in a creamy white, with a bull nose tile for the top and a decorative piece to run under the bull nose. I will paste a photo at the end. Today my contractor's tile guy said that they are small and that most people use larger subways. I started to look online and see that one idea is to have a larger square tile for the bottom half of a tub surround, with a break in the middle, then smaller subways. There's a beautiful bathroom on this site with this idea (thank you Enduring!) My worry is that if it's all done in the smaller subways it will be too busy. But if I use a shade of grout that is practically the same as the tiles will that tie it together? Or, the 2 sizes of subways (5"x5"), then 2 1/2 x 5 might be a bit busy also, or over decorative? Sorry for the obsessiveness!

Here is a link that might be useful: Enduring's bathroom with both sizes of subways

Comment (1)