SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mimsic

Service update on Blue Star as promised

mimsic
15 years ago

I can't find the original thread so I decided to start a new one.

I posted a week or so ago that I had contacted Blue Star customer services by filling out a service request form on the Blue Star website. I promised to keep the forum posted on the results since there seems to be an issue related to customer service from Blue Star.

I bought my Blue Star RCN30 in April 07 and it was installed in June 07. I starting having a problem with clicking that wouldn't stop when I lit my simmer burner but foolishly neglected to call for service while it was under the first year warranty. I rarely cook inside in the summer and let it go until a few weeks ago.

Then the lightbulb in the oven went out and I could not budge the cover on that stinker. And I decided I didn't like the flame adjustments on my surface burners. And I thought it would be nice if the simmer burner were placed in the right back position, behind the hottest burner. That would mean the 2 identical burners, 15k each, would be lined up with each other, making it easier to use a large roaster, poacher or griddle over the 2 burners.

I sent the request through the website, got a call within 2 business days as promised, from John at Blue Star. He listened to all my issues and said I would hear from the local service rep. within a few days, which I did. They patiently listened to my tale of woe and scheduled a date for a week or so later - that was this afternoon. In the meantime, John called back to confirm that I had heard from them and to let me know that switching the burners would cost $75 but that the rest was under the warranty. The service company called on Friday afternoon to confirm the charge for switching the burners and that they had the part and would be here on Monday between 1 - 5 PM.

Sure enough 2 very agreeable guys showed up at about 2:30 this afternoon, assessed the problem, took the whole surface apart and the front panel, changed the connector thingy under the front panel, switched the burners, opened and replaced the oven light bulb. The only problem remaining was - OY VEY! the clicking persisted!!! The guys were incredibly frustrated as they went over every wire, those ceramic lighters at each burner, all the connections. They re-replaced that white connector thing under that front panel and carefully checked and rechecked every possible wire and all connections, all to no avail. It was clicking to beat the band. They were very apologetic and said it had to be the ceramic thing, since they ruled out everything else. Only thing was, that was not the part Blue Star sent and they didn't have one. So, we are back to the drawing board on this one.

The guys assured me that the company would call me tomorrow, the part will be ordered and they will be back soon. I have no reason to doubt them and I really hope that ceramic thing is in fact the culprit and I will soon have an end to the clicking problem.

I am not terribly upset. I still feel everyone did exactly what could be expected of them and in a timely, polite fashion. I do have a light in the oven again. I expect the rest will get fixed too. It is a real simple stove. What could possibly go wrong? Hey, that was a rhetoric question, no need to answer it!

As promised, I'll keep you posted. - M

Comments (29)

• kachinee
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Can you take a picture of the inside when they are replacing the part?

I do not know how the 30" ranges are set up, but the 36" ranges have two spark re-ignition modules..a four point module for the center two burners and a six-point module for the outside four burners. It is the six point module that was recalled by Viking and replaced by Blue Star (if they went bad within the one year warranty.)

I looked at the last module that failed in my range. When I lay the ignition module flat side down on a table it is apparent that it somehow got warped. I am now wondering if it is possible that these things get warped because of where they are located and the fact that they are screwed right into sheet metal that gets very hot when the oven or broiler are used.

Perhaps the manufacturer could locate these electronic modules in the area below the oven where they would not be subjected to so much heat. They would be easily accessed for service there as well.

The other thing I am thinking after seeing the warped module is that perhaps a sheet of silicone, like they use for bake ware, could be used as a gasket when mounting the module so that it would be insulated from direct heat transfer through the metal. I may try that when I replace the 6 point module that failed again in my Blue Star.

• mimsic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't think the problem is related to the spark module since the repairmen replaced that twice and neither replacement fixed the clicking. When the guys left they said the part that needs to be replaced is the electrode and its wire. That is what I referred to as the ceramic thing. The other part you are talking about and I referred to as "that white connector thingy" is the spark module and it does not seem to be the culprit in my stove. I'll let you know how this turns out. I can't promise a picture - I refer to electronic parts as "thingies" of one sort or another!

• Related Discussions

Delonghi 36' double oven, Blue Star or Five Star Range?

Q

Comments (2)
    The oven sizes on the Delonghi are below left oven (WxHxD) 16 4/8" x 13 6/8" x 16 4/8" BIG ONE Right Oven (WxHxD):9 5/8" x 13 6/8" x 16 4/8" SMALL ONE These are the interior sizes. if you call Delonghi in NY they can advise you on service locally
    ...See More

BlueStar Service

Q

Comments (15)
    Barryv: This dealer also sells American, Dacor, and Wolf. She said all three have stood behind their products and worked fine with the local customer support contractor when necessary (same local support folks who said they'd no longer work with BlueStar). Dacor price is nice and they have one stacked 18K burner, but they also get some negative press on quality. The major problems however seem to be with Dacor oven electronics vs. range tops. Some complaints also about flimsy knobs which never sounds good for high-end stuff. Deeageaux's comment about a custom built American range top with open burners is intriguing but maybe not feasible given our timeline. DW and I need to go back, look at the American range more closely, get a quote from American and a time estimate for a custom built range top without the oven, and then maybe sweet talk our remodeling contractor if it seems right. The BlueStar isn't cheap, so we were prepared to bite that bullet for the open burners, but we'll see where American's quote comes in. We also appreciate the suggestion to find out who supports Capital 'round these parts. Would love to have a local Capital dealer along with local support, but it's worth a look anyway. We'd love to see the original Wolf open burners back again but we think four 15K stacked burners are better than plain sealed if it comes to that. Lots to consider and lots of scurrying around the next few days. We feel like a couple of ants whose nest has been exposed. Thanks to all for the comments.
    ...See More

Blue Star oven takes FOREVER to get hot...

Q

Comments (42)
    We are moving from a house with a lacanche volnay and much smaller oven, which i LOVE, to a new home with a 36” blue star and this heat up and large oven size is my primary concern. i picked the lacanche over blue star 12 years ago, and have never regretted it. the volnay is like a speed oven, speedy heat up, great convection and fast cooking. roast veg in 30 min for everthing. i think the burners will be fine, though the lacanche often had too much fire power. hope i like the blue star and the oven serves us well and dont have problrms with it. perhaps remind myself that the views in the new house are worth it!
    ...See More

Best warranty? (Wolf vs BlueStar and Miele vs. Bosch)

Q

Comments (22)
    Ccwatters, I’m glad you are not offended. I thought when you said “picking my comments apart and arguing each ” and characterized others posts as “speculative” that you were. Even your last comment about “criticism” has that connotation. Good to know you aren’t. Yes, you did thank both of us and others, but when I said “ask follow up questions” I meant asking specific questions of the people who posted, especially the new owner. I do understand asking for newer reviews. Sometimes people comment about a brand they have had for 15 years when there have been several model changes so the comment is no longer valid. The Wolf M is in the sweet spot of a fair amount of threads and no real changes. Wolf is in kind of a conundrum. They can’t really admit to the chipping problem, yet they made the bottom replaceable. If you have read all the threads about the chipping and uneven browning and were assured, then you made the best decision for you. If you don’t have that browning on the sides, that is wonderful. I always take people at their word as to what they say happens in their own kitchen and this is also why the posts about uneven browning concern me. I just post to bring awareness to the issues reported here that you will not hear about by anyone marketing a product, and people can make their own decision. I’m aware of how the message system works but I believe comments need to be public as they may benefit someone down the line reading this as a later point.
    ...See More
  • kachinee
    15 years ago

I don't think the problem is related to the spark module since the repairmen replaced that twice and neither replacement fixed the clicking. When the guys left they said the part that needs to be replaced is the electrode and its wire.

I am surprised that the spark module was replaced even once let alone twice before the ignitors were checked. It seems he could have swapped igniters on the unit to eliminate them as the likely problem before wasting time and money ordering and replacing igniters two times.
    I would guess Blue Star would not be thrilled with this repair guy since these attempted repairs were on their dime.

• mimsic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The only thing that was wasted really was time. These guys were not novices by any means. They checked and rechecked all the igniters and wires, including cutting and splicing a wire that seem the likely culprit. They had 2 of the spark modules with them so they tried each one, just in case. This was all in one visit, not repeat visits. I wasn't charged for the service call, the parts or the time spent. The new part is ordered and I am waiting to hear from the contract agency for a new appointment. The rep who I spoke to on the phone said that Bluestar generally tries to analyze the problem over the phone and in her experience, more often than not they are correct. So sometimes they are wrong and in this case it was my stove they misdiagnosed. Since it is a pretty simple apparatus, I expect the next service call to be successful. There are not a lot of ways this thing can go wrong. I guess just the igniter or the spark module. What else is there?

As for Bluestar's customer service, so far I have no reason to be concerned. I have not had any difficulty contacting them by phone.

The repair agency reps - who repair all these "high-end" stoves - had nothing but praise for Bluestar. I asked the workmen what they thought, in the event that I decided to switch to Viking or Wolff. The senior guy said he finds the Bluestar the most reliable and fully expected the repair to be a cinch. No one was more frustrated than he was. He was very apologetic that he did not have the other part with him but said it would not be a problem getting it. He finds Bluestar reliable in that aspect as well. So, again, I will keep you all posted. - M

• kachinee
    15 years ago

They had 2 of the spark modules with them so they tried each one, just in case.

Bluestar provided them with multiple spark modules to try? That sounds unusual. To me it sounds like they do not have a lot of confidence in that part. I can understand why based on my experience another manufacturers recall on that part.
    What I don't understand is why Bluestar would send out two spark ignition modules but no ceramic igniter electrodes when that has been what they have done for this same issue in the past. I also do not understand why the service man would not have swapped the igniter on the simmer burner that you had the problem with with another burner before replacing or ordering any part. Very unusual.

Can you take a picture of the spark ignition module they replaced? I would like to know what the date of manufacture was. Also, can you take a picture during the service call on the burners or post a picture of the bad igniter on the simmer burner?

• ya_think
    15 years ago

kachinee - With all due respect for what I know of your situation, I really don't see the need to hammer mimsic on the particulars of the service call he/she received. My guess is that someone who calls the various parts "thingies" is not one of those PITA customers who hovers over the repairman's shoulder questioning his every move, nor someone who can fairly and explicitly detail the diagnostics performed.

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

:-) :-) :-)

mimsi, I'm not sure if you just got a reprieve ...
    or an insult.
    ;-)

• mimsic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ya think. I don't remember Kachinee being in my kitchen when the guys were working on my stove. However, he/she must have been because such a highly self-regarded expert would certainly not judge the work of other experts without a first-hand observation.

mindstorm: I'll take it as neither a reprieve nor an insult, but as a compliment - I am sometimes a PITA, just ask my family and friends. And I do like to watch the repairmen work. It reminds me of being a little kid at my father's side.

Kachinee: While you were watching the guys work on my stove you must have turned your head for a few minutes and missed when they switched those little ceramic thingies around. I guess that's why you couldn't lend a hand - you were busy noticing how nice my new kitchen looks.

I guess it didn't occur to you that these highly skilled and experienced men might just have a supply of certain parts on hand in their truck? That has been my experience in over 30 yrs of home-ownership. When you call a good electrician, plumber, carpenter, appliance repair service, they usually have a few extra parts on hand. That's what comes of being in a business for a long time.

So, I am content to give both Blue Star and my local service reps a chance to do the right thing. - Why aren't you? - M

• kachinee
    15 years ago

I am asking you for information because of similar issues I and several others have had with the Blue Star. I assumed that you had some reason to post here about your issue and were inviting questions and comments since you opened a thread about your problem.

The fact is that when this issue has (often and repeatedly) arisen in the past, Bluestar sends out a few new igniters along with a new spark module to the service tech. This was apparently not done according to what you stated here. That was unusual and that is why I asked about it.

Given the sparking issue that you described, a simple replacement of thr simmer burner igniter would have been done before a new $100.00 spark module was replaced (which requires the power to be cut-off and the knobs removed, front panel dismantled, removal/replacement of the spark unit, and reassembly (labor and possibly an unnecessary $100 part). Instead, according to your account, they came with two spark ignition modules ($100 each) and performed two replacements before deciding that they needed to replace the igniter (a $20 part that attaches with one screw and a plug-in wire without major disassembly.)

As far as my request on the module there has been an issue with Invensys modules and it appears that they are still problematic. The same Invensys spark ignition module used by Blue Star was recalled by Viking. I asked why Blue Star never issued a recall. I never got a response and now this problem persists.

I am not hammering. Listen, I paid 5k range for a range (based on what people who were so excited about the Blue Star boasted about on this forum) and that range has been entirely unreliable. I have had numerous service calls on this range and it currently is broken. The fact is that your Blue Star has a common problem that I and many others have had with the Blue Star, so yes, I am interested in the resolution. I certainly am not questioning how happy you are with the repair processor trying to hammer(?) you.

• mimsic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, I started this thread so that I could document my experience with customer service from Blue Star. There have been several complaints on other threads and I thought I could report in real time exactly what happens, good or bad, with my request for service. So far, I think I have been treated promptly and fairly. However, my original problem still isn't fixed because they sent the wrong part. That, of course, ,is disappointing and more than a little aggravating, but not cause to berate either customer service at Blue Star or the service reps. Apparently they were not so off-base in thinking it was the spark module causing the clicking. It would have been better if they had sent both possible parts. I guess the job could have been finished if they had done that. As for the service reps having the other part just in case, well - if that isn't usually the problematic part, well I guess they wouldn't stock it. They also said Blue Star is the more reliable co. that they work with so I assume that means they usually get it right the first time.

Am I correct that above poster also thought the spark module was the culprit?

I don't want to argue the merits here. I just want to document accurately the process of working with Blue Star's customer service and the experience of getting a problem with the product fixed.

My objection to the other poster is the quick accusations that Blue Star got it wrong and the service reps didn't know what they were doing. It made me think the poster has more at stake here, I am not sure what that would be. I am not being charged for the parts or the labor related to fixing the problem. Blue Star customer service agreed that that was their responsibility. I will have to pay ($75) to have the burner locations switched - my choice. So far I am OK with customer service at Blue Star, disappointed that the problem is not fixed yet - I guess the jury is still out on the ultimate issue, whether through Blue Star customer service I will get my stove repaired.

• guadalupe
    15 years ago

Fair and balanced. I would have been happier if they had sent the repair service parts to immediately service the unit. When you diagnose a problem you should cover all possible failures any unused parts by the service company could be returned or kept for future use.

• gwarrior99
    15 years ago

Do keep us posted on how it gets resolved, as someone who will buy a new bluestar range for our new kitchen, I'm interested also. I did call them and left a msg, 1 hour later someone called me back and answered my questions. For me, it's simple, its not what happens, its what's done about it and how. I like that Wolf has a 2 year warranty right off, Bluestar also on the RNB w the service. A warranty is a good sign to me, along w the service should something arise, and it's interesting that others don't have a 2 year warranty, but some do. Many thanks, Greg

• shannonplus2
    15 years ago

Gwarrior99, I have to disagree (respectfully) with your statement "it's not what happens, it's what's done about it". I do think it's an issue that various expensive ranges, not just Bluestars, aren't working right off the bat, and/or for the next several years without problems. I had written in another thread that "gone are the days of our parents' kitchens which had appliances that worked for 20 years, and no one thought anything of it". Sure, it's nice to have a 2-year warranty, and it's nice for the repairmen to return good-naturedly to your home on repeated occasions, free of charge. But I'd really rather have the thing just work, and not have the down time, the frustration, the having-to-take-days-off-from-work-to-wait-for-the-repair-guy, the wait for parts, and of course, the inability to cook with an appliance that cost multi-thousands.

If you bought a new car that needed several repairs in its first year, you'd be complaining loud and clear, and likely demanding a new car from the dealership, especially these days. I am always surprised that people are OK when appliance breakdowns "happen" as long as someone'll come to repair it (i.e. the statement, "it's not what happens, it's what's done about it"). I don't get that people on this forum wholeheartedly accept the various range manufacturers' excuses. It's quite indulgent of the manufacturers, IMO. You've just given them your hard-earned dollars for goodness sakes!

Having said all that, and with my appologies to the OP for going OT, I don't know what can be done about it, since the appliance breakdowns seem to be endemic to the industry, at least where ranges are concerned. The only companies I know of that appear to be almost free of complaints are Miele and Gaggenau, neither of which make ranges, and both of which are priced sky-high for their other appliances. I guess laws of economics will rule in that the companies will be spending so much on repairs for machines under warranty, they will have to stem those costs by making their appliances work from the get-go. But it might take them years to figure that out.

• mimsic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am not all that OK with something going wrong with an expensive appliance. In my case the real problem only affects one burner, the simmer one at that, and I can continue to use the stove despite the one clicking burner. I think there is a certain amount of defensiveness in accepting some problems with expensive appliances, after all, we chose to go with high-end and not regular kitchen stoves. That said, I have to admit, my last stove was a magic chef that I bought in 1988, I think and it had a much bigger problem than the clicking simmer burner on my Blue Star. The Magic Chef (which I also loved) had a computerized control panel that constantly went on the fritz. It would suddenly go into alarm mode complete with a very loud, ear-piercing (think smoke alarm) sound that would not go off. The solution was to turn off the electricity to the stove, light the surface burners with a match and switch the electricity on whenever I wanted to use the oven. I had the panel replaced 3 times. Each time the new one lasted for a few years then went bonkers on me again, usually in the middle of the night. Why did I keep that stove; why did I love that stove; and why (WHY?) didn't I put out a contract on the manufacturer, the service agency and a curse on their future generations? Who knows, maybe it was just a stove and not my first born son's life that was in jeopardy. Or maybe I was convinced that my choice of stove was mostly a good one, except for that annoying little thing about the electric panel.

• User
    15 years ago

My objection to the other poster is the quick accusations that Blue Star got it wrong and the service reps didn't know what they were doing. It made me think the poster has more at stake here, I am not sure what that would be.

You have this wrong if you are referring to me. My comments about the normal service procedure for this problem are based upon my own actual experience with my Blue Star where they sent a new ceramic igniter electrode and a new spark ignition module. I have no idea why they would not have done likewise for you because this is a very common problem that they and also Viking and others have dealt with. Likewise, it is standard procedure for service techs to first inspect the igniter electrode (which can get dirty or get damaged) and the wiring before replacing the more expensive spark ignition module. That isn't a technicality, it is just the logical way to approach it.

As far as my stake in this, well let me show you exactly what that is? (see link)

Here is a link that might be useful: My $5,000 stake in Bluestar

• mimsic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

heri cles: No I wasn't referring to you. I don't see your post in this thread and if it was elsewhere, I guess I missed it. I clicked on your link, found myself in Youtube, but all I saw there were videos, many apparently about Halloween but none that looked like they were about stove problems?!

I will repeat, the service reps did inspect the igniter electrode and the wiring. They switched them around, as was suggested by another poster, disconnected and reconnected the apparently faulty one several times, switched it with others, and spent quite a bit of time inspecting every inch of wiring. I don't know why Bluestar didn't send that part. Maybe I will call John at Bluestar and ask him. What I don't want to do, its not my style, is to give him a hard time about how he analyzed the problem in the first place. Nor do I want to be one of those people who call constantly. That said, I will follow up today to find out what is going on since I haven't heard from anyone since being told Wednesday that the part was ordered. The service call was Monday 10/27.

• kachinee
    15 years ago

mimsic:
    Sorry that was me accidentally posting from my brothers' account. The link I posted was removed but basically I was showing that I have the same problem that you do (continued clicking after the simmer burner lights). I had mine repaired but the thing went bad again, got repaired, and now I have the left rear and right rear burners doing this. I suggest asking them to send an extra igniter or two and watch the tech replace it (so you feel comfortable doing it) in case this happens again, especially after the warranty expires.

• mimsic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kachinee: Ok, so I guess that igniter is problematic. I will lose patience if I have another electric glitch in an otherwise gas stove. I had that with my Magic Chef (see above post). I do expect to get good results from both Blue Star and the local service agency. Blue Star (Prizer-Painter) is a reputable company, the stove is expensive and so simple - what on earth could go wrong? Oh, the electric ignition apparatus! (thingy!)I do hope that by this time next week the whole thing will be over and I will report good results to all the other appliance forum readers and posters out there who want a really cool stove!!

• jakkom
    15 years ago

You can take some small comfort that ceramic igniters on today's dryers are also a source of difficulty, as they're easily damaged during shipping and installation. But since we don't need to scrub down our dryers, once the igniter is replaced, it's reliable from then on. We had trouble with our F&P dryer at the install because the installer did make sure it worked - but didn't make sure it actually heated up! After two hours of trying to dry a load, it finally occurred to me the dryer wasn't making any heat, LOL!

When it comes to a range, I'd be happy if the only problem was on a single burner. We had to replace the circuit boards twice on our 2002 Kenmore/Whirlpool gas range - and at $375 each plus labor, that meant the cost of repairs in one year's time almost equaled the cost of the entire range. Our newly extended warranty is up next year and I'm seriously tempted to toss it and replace it with a Lacanche - the Bluestar, alas, won't fit! (Darn it)

Do keep us posted on your service situation - this is always very useful information for everyone.

• mimsic
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here I am again, for those of you who might still be interested: Yesterday morning, at 7:20AM, the service contractors came back to fix the problem I had with my simmer burner. It is one month since I first called Bluestar about the problem. They agreed to do the repair even though it was more than a year since I had purchased and installed my range. They called back promptly, answered all my questions and sent the service company out without delay. When the first team couldn't correct the problem another part was ordered and in a few weeks I was called to make an appointment. I was offered an earlier appointment but I wasn't going to be available for that time so another time/date was offered, which was yesterday morning at 8. I was called to confirm on Friday afternoon, and called yesterday at 7:15 to be warned that the men would be at my house in 5 minutes.

The team included one guy who had come the first time around and another, who said he was the service supervisor. I didn't hover this time around, (it was before my first cup of coffee.) But I know they changed the ceramic igniter, opened and made some adjustment under the front panel, switched positions of the 2 rear burners (my request for which I agreed to pay $75), switched the gas nozzles (I know that is not the right term but its all I can think of calling those right now) so that the BTUs were correct for the switched burners, and adjusted all the flames. The stove is working like a charm. There's no more clicking, the simmer burner simmers and all the burners have a full flame range. They also tightened one of the knobs, that has recently begun to slip off. It is all good. I now have the pro-style range I have always wanted, and just in time for a houseful on Thanksgiving (20+ family and friends). There will be 2 turkeys, all the usual sides, more pies and cakes than we can possibly eat and some decent wine and beer to wash it all down. Hurrah!

Thanks for listening. I am quite satisfied with the response I got from the people at Bluestar and the local service company.

• jakkom
    15 years ago

That's great news, mimsic, and thank you so much for posting so comprehensively on your service experience. Have a great (and delicious) Thanksgiving!

• guadalupe
    15 years ago

Love Happy endings and good food best of luck

• chairthrower
    15 years ago

You got it all wrong! Aren't you supposed to be fuming that they came 45 minutes early?

;-)

• paperjody
    15 years ago

Thank you, OP, for all the updates and explanations.

My family is considering a BlueStar, so I was happy to read of your issues (sorry you had them!) and follow up experience.

As someone said, it *IS* sad that we can't buy things anymore and have them work out of the box and for 20 years following. very sad.

That said, even though it seems that Bluestar has some repeated issues, they seem to be much less so than with a GE Profile or something else like that.
    That said...Bluestar told us this is a lifetime unit (with some repairs needed along the way), GE told us 7 to 8 years (with repairs along the way). hmm.... : ) one sounds much better to me! this research and deciding is a headache!

I should start a new thread, but did those of you who bought a bluestar see it in person first? that is one thing we have a hard time swallowing...we want to see it before we buy it.

Thanks again!!!!

• tyguy
    15 years ago

paperJody- My situation is kind of odd. Bluestar's were virtually impossible to see in person here in Ontario until early '08 when they lined up a bunch of retailers here. Luckily I was in the market for a new range in early 08. From what I had read here on the forum and some of the video's I had seen on the internet of the unit in action, as well as having used a Garland (burner is almost identical) I was prepared to buy a unit sight unseen. Although it wouldn't be past me to drive to Pennsylvania or even Massachusetts to see one. I have had my bluestar now since July 4, 08, and have not had one quality issue (besides a couple of small blemishes on the stainless steel) and at this point I can say with 100% confidence that I would not consider anything else if I had to buy again right now. I did own a Viking before this, and it was alright, but was not a serious contender this time around. I pretty much narrowed it to a Bluestar or Capital. The capital has some great features, but bluestars real professional grade burners won me over in the end :) Keep in mind too that Bluestar burners really are professional grade, not just professional style. I know Garland has an even more impressive burner design now in their restaurant ranges, but they did come with pretty much the exact same burner that a Bluestar comes with, but ported with 24k BTU instead of 22k. (and a standing pilot instead of electronic ignition).

• edlakin
    15 years ago

i purchased my BS sight unseen, but that's the second time i did that, having purchased my previous range (a Dynasty) also sight unseen via the internet.

it didn't seem like a big deal to me. stainless looks like stainless. cast iron looks like cast iron. i looked at a ton of pictures online because the one thing i was sure i wanted was the cast iron burner grids and not the enamel over cast iron, and i wanted to ensure that's what i'd get.

• tyguy
    15 years ago

I'd say my expectations for my appliances are fairly high(although not unreasonable). Anyway, I guess the only time I have really been almost in disbelief is with my old Miele Dishwasher(my new Miele Dishwasher will not be installed until after my whole house renovation in the spring 09). Anyway, I found it amazing to hold a glass that has come out of the unit, and hold it up to the light and not even see one single water mark on it. It is as though the glass had been not only hand washed, but hand polished.

• tyguy
    15 years ago

DOH!!!!!! wrong thread.....supposed to be in the "What appliance(s) far exceeded your expectations?" thread. I didn't realize I had two browser windows open.

Oh well, I will blame it on being Monday. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: What appliance(s) far exceeded your expectations?

• cabman
    15 years ago

I might as well tell my story here as well. My Bluestar was installed on a Friday. Monday I faxed my paper work in to arrange the white glove service. The next day we received a call from the service company wanting to come check everything out. We were not home but scheduled a call for Friday. Friday came and the service tech spent about 1 1/2 hours going over everything. The oven temperature needed to be adjusted. All in all I am very happy with the fit and finish of the range. Cooking on it has been great. I know there have been some negative BS threads lately. But my experiance has been great. No trouble getting through to the factory, and the range was delivered on time. They took care of the white glove service quickly. What more could you ask?