SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seaduck_gw

what fridge style appeals to renters? (family argument)

seaduck
13 years ago

My 80-year old parents need to rent out the apartment in their house -- actually a very nice apartment, in an historic house/neighborhood. The refrigerator needs to be replaced. And that's how the fight started. (g)

They obviously don't want to spend a lot of money. Because of space, the refrigerator can't be huge and is free-standing. So we agree that it should be white, not stainless.

Where we don't agree is on configuration. I think it should have a bottom freezer to appeal to more renters as looking up-to-date. (It's a tough, competitive rental market.) My dad is convinced that top freezers are easier to use. I argue that most appliance stores seem to carry bottom-freezers, so that must be what the consumer preference is. He argues that it's a fad and that everyone is starting to see that top freezers are better. (My mother is sitting this one out.)

I know this is a matter of personal preference. But I would be grateful for any advice, even if it is to say that my dad is right. Again. A top freezer will probably be cheaper by a $200-300. Do you think renters care?

Comments (22)