SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ecobuzz

What style is this house in So. Cal?

EcoBuzz
12 years ago

I'm trying to figure out how to describe the style of our home and the homes in the area. We are in the Southern California/Los Angeles/Harbor area near the coast and these "tract" homes were built in 1950 - they were mostly 2 bedroom/1 bath attached garage homes with a few 3 bedroom homes thrown in, built on 5500-6500 square foot lots. They are stucco with brick trim and flat roofs. Most have been remodeled but there are a few left with the original floorplan. Is there a more specific style/term associated with this type of home than "tract" home? Here is a picture of one of them, obviously it has been fixed up but the floorplan/overall structure is the same as it was in 1950.

What does this have to do with our kitchen? Well... as we remodel our kitchen and hopefully the rest of the house, we'd like to maintain some of the original character and when I describe the house to people on this forum and other design/building professionals I'm hoping there is something else I can say besides 1950 tract house.

Comments (13)