SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berf_gw

New Viking Microwave Problems

berf
15 years ago

Hello,

Just thought I'd report in on the experience I'm having this week with my new Viking MW/Convection oven. I bought this oven because I got a smoking deal on it from a local dealer who was clearing the decks for more inventory. New in the box, and with the trim kit, I paid $800.00--which made it comparable the the Electrolux I had been looking at. It was "on sale, no returns" and had read the scary stories here of Viking customer service but decided to risk it anyway due to the price (I'm scary that way.) With all that said, it's a lot of money to spend...

soooo....

Imagine my chagrine when the day it was installed (yesterday) and the very first time we ran it, it was buzzing VERY LOUDLY. (I guess it's better to find a problem on day one of ownership rather than day one after the warranty expires? Just trying to look at the bright side.)

Looked up local authorized repair place on Vikings website and called them, only to find out they don't service Viking any longer...but very helpful to put me through to Hadco (major Viking distributor) for advice on a service company. Hadco was very nice on the phone and immediately referred me to a local company. Said company made an appointment for next morning. Repair guy called me a few hours before the appointment to quiz me on the phone about the troubles---and then suggested he knows the problem and will order the parts and call me this week to come over to take a look (saving two trips for him and me.) He's suspecting the magnatron, capacitor and diode--and figures he might have to replace all three, so why not be prepared? Seems to make sense to me.

In any case, I'm not happy with the fact it's not working--BUT so far, so good on the customer service. I'll report back on the actual repair and performance--which may or may not be a different story.

Thanks for listening...

Comments (4)