SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iamskc

Talk me off the Ledge. How2not feel like yer gettin' robbed??

iamskc
9 years ago

Hello first time home builder long time savvy shopper and frankly, one tough cookie. But I have to confess I am nearly in tears every day with this process. Every time I get a quote sheet from my builder's sub contractors I feel like I'm getting ROBBED!

How is it a toilet from the plumber I'm spending THOUSANDS with still costs $225 MORE than it would if I just buy it from Home Depot? A sink $150 more? A tub $400 more? Aren't I suppose to be getting a deal because I'm spending 20K with you guys?? Is installation REALLY THAT MUCH? It's the very same product. Exactly. And It never ends. It's not just plumbing. It's tile, carpet, stone, interior doors exterior doors, fireplace, etc etc etc. I look online and can buy significantly cheaper. I make sure I'm considering taxes, and shipping. I'm told "well that's installed." Ok, then how much are you charging me for the install? "Can't say because we make it a lump sum based off what you've purchased from us." Ok, well since I can get the same front door for $3000 CHEAPER than you quoted me I'm going to just GUESS I can get someone to install it for less than $3000 and save some money. "Well then your builder won't warranty the framing around it" What? WHAT? ARE YOU ALL CROOKS? JUST TELL ME WHAT YOU ARE CHARGING TO INSTALL MY DAMN BACKSPASH TILE! "Nope. Can't. Can only give a total for the entire job"

I'm so exhausted and frustrated. And I think, "well, saving money isn't worth this stress. I'll just pay. I'll just give up and pay."

Comments (4)