SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

AOL Emails problems with Firefox - 2 problems

lynnalexandra
15 years ago

I've been having a new problem this week. When I try to print my AOL emails (through my Firefox 3.03 browser), the print is tiny, tiny - and it only prints the top 40% of the page. It doesn't matter if I print an email that I've received - or one that I've sent - or one that I'm still composing but have not sent yet. Actually I just tested printing an email through the AOL software and browswer and it's fine. So I guess it has something to do with Firefox - although other things I'm printing via Firefox come out fine.

When I open email or write it, the font size is fine - it just prints tiny and cuts off 40% of the way down the page.

I am not having this trouble printing other documents - either from web pages through Firefox browswer or Word documents. I've been getting around this by copying and pasting my emails into Word and then printing. I hoped this was a temporary glitch, but since it's persisting, I need to fix it. I cannot think of anything new I've done or added or deleted since the problem began.

I'm on a Dell insipiron 530 - 500GB hard drive, quad core processer, 3 MB RAM, Windows XP SP2, McAfee antivirus, superantispyware, Microsoft Word 2003. My printer is a Canon MX 850.

The other problem is that I have Firefox set up to use AOL as the default email program. But I have a personal and a work AOL email. I use my person AOL account through Firefox browser. My personal AOL email account is open on Firefox browser and this is the email address I would like emails sent from. But it keeps sending emails through my other account (which I only access through the AOL software and browser itself). I can see where I select AOL as the email program, but can't figure out how to specific which AOL email address I want things sent from. Any way to do this. (Whether the AOL software is open or not, it tries to open it and log on to my business email - rather than just sending it through the AOl email address I have open on Firefox).

Thanks.

Lynn.

Comments (17)

• fruitjarfla
    15 years ago

A couple of guesses.
    Tiny printing: In the Control Panel check Printers and Faxes by clicking the printer settings. Select Canon (the default printer), right click and select Printer Preferences. The Main tab = Plain paper. Page Setup tab = Letter -- and on same tab Printing Type = Normal-size Printing. -- same tab Print Area Setup = Use normal-size printing -- same tab Specify Margins = 0.0

The discussion about the mix of email accounts is a little confusing to me. In Firefox check the Aim email Settings then from the left panel, select Accounts then click the Link Screen Names to see if the two accounts have been linked. If not too inconvenient, you might gradually switch to using another email such as Thunderbird for the personal account.

• pfmastin
    15 years ago

I was having this problem, too. I finally noticed that instead of using File>Print...try using the little printer icon in the upper right corner of the email window. I just tried it and it printed it out full page and in a larger font. I hope this helps.
    Pam

• Related Discussions

aol problem

Q

Comments (8)
    I did go to the link using Ubuntu. Nothing odd happened, but that does not mean the site is safe. Here is what scamadviser.com has to say about appuals: Website: appuals.com Title: Appuals.com - Apps and Manuals Library Description: Download free softwares, trials and manuals for popular software's Type: Software Domain Age: 65 Days Website Speed: Fast Owner: Registration Private Owner Address: DomainsByProxy.com 14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309 Owner City: Scottsdale Owner Postcode: 85260 Phone Number: 14806242599 Phone Type: geographic :Phoenix, AZ Qwest Corporation Email: Owner Country : Hidden Website Location : United States Probable website origin :- 87%; Unknown 13%; United States Notes:- [Alert Result] The owner of the website is using a service to hide their identity [Alert Result] This website is 65 Days old [Alert Result] The website expected life (365 days) is relatively short. [Alert Result] The website appears to be less than six months old Analysis Details:- This webite is very new , and as such doesn't have an online reputation yet. As with all new businesses , we suggest that you take care and if necessary get in contact with the owners before placing an order of value. This site is using an anonymous service - which prevents us from identifying the site owner. This can sometimes be just so that the owner does not receive spam, but be aware that many scam sites use this as a method to hide their identify. If this is an ecommerce site - we would suggest you confirm the business address with the website owners. The website has been newly registered with a short life expectancy, which follows the pattern used by many fraudulent and fake selling websites. Please be vigilant and take extra care before providing any payment.
    ...See More

FireFox Problems.....

Q

Comments (5)
    nope none at all which version of firefox are you using? click Help at the top then about to find that have you checked for any updates to firefox click Help> check for updates, and any of your add ons? I would try that and also clear your cache, click tools>clear private data
    ...See More

AOL problem.........

Q

Comments (12)
    pinecone If you like AOL and are satisfied with it then great, but in most peoples opinion it is way over priced and very invasive and controlling from what I have read and heard. As an owner of a website that is updated every week AOL is my biggest head ache! When I get complaints that someone can't see my lastest updates it always comes from someone using AOL. Seems that AOL just cashe a page when you first visit it and just serves it backup to you the next time you visit the site. Re-freshing the page doesn't work and redoing settings in the browser the user has to change is the only solution, but why should I have to be the one that explains that to the AOL user and I have to all the time. My solution is to tell them to download Firefox and use it instead ;o) Just my 2 cents
    ...See More

gwanny2three--email problem

Q

Comments (6)
    jenni, I have been meaning to ask you, what type of travel wipes do you have in this one in the picture? I haven't had a chance to look for any yet, but wanted to be on the look out. The wipe cases I ordered from Jenni are beautiful. Can't wait for an occasion to give them away! Trin
    ...See More
  • lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, Pam. Thanks. I never even noticed this small printer icon in my email window. That solves that problem.

Fruitjarfla - well I learned something and was able to choose some options, but didn't solve this particular problem. I hadn't noticed that there was a place in the Firefox AIM window for settings - it's so faint, but since you pointed it out, I found it. It is already set to send emails within firefox (say I'm on a webpage and I want to email somebody the link)- the problem is it is not sending them from my personal email screen name (lynnalexandra), but keeps trying to open my AOL software (which I use to view my business email - which is also an AOL screenname - but a different one). I don't want to be sending links to people from my work email address. But I don't see a way to change this.

I cannot imagine switching email accounts - meaning I think it would be a huge pain - and ultimately result in my being unfindable to people whom I want to have find me (but may have forgotten to notify about an email address change) - and more places than I can recall where I'm registered by my email address.

Thanks.
    Lynn.

PS - I realize that I'm having other AOL email problems when I use AIM within the Firefox browser. I just don't know how to get the same options I get with the AOL software. In particular, I can't find an option for "reply all" - which is one I use a lot for this volunteer Board I'm on - we're are constantly dialoguing and conducting business by sending our thoughts and responses to the entire Board. I only seem to have the option to reply to the actual sender. I'd love a solution to this if anyone has one.

Perhaps AOL intentionally makes their email accessed through non-AOL software a bit less user-friendly so that people won't give up the AOL software? Either that, or I just haven't figured it out when accessing AOL mail through Firefox.

• marooma
    15 years ago

Lynn,

I was having the same problem with the AOL email client opening up through Firefox with the "wrong" screen name.
    I found out that Firefox will open the AOL software to the screenname that was showing when the AOL software was last used or the screename that was showing on the signon page prior to the AOL software being closed. If the AOL software is already open, it will send the mail from whatever screen name you have open.
    I use Windows 2000 with AOL 7. HTH.

Terry

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    15 years ago

yes you must be signed out of the AOL account you do NOT want it to send from other wise it will send from the currently open or last used account.

I have no idea about how the AOL looks but many times items like reply all and BCC are hidden you have to look to the options and settings to provide the info on how to display them, I can not imagine it not being available.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well - that clears up one mystery. I was using the AOL software for my work email - so whether AOL software was opened or closed, it's the last email address opened with AOL software. That's too bad - because I want to send email from my personal account - but I guess I can't do that and still have my work email being used through AOL. So either I make sure that I've changed screen names on my AOL software to my personal one (which is a pain - bc. it will keep closing my AOL mail on firefox).

Perhaps I can have to AOL tabs opened in Firefox - one going to my personal email and one for business. Does anyone know if this is possible? This would actually be a great solution. I'd just log in once to my personal email on AOL. Then I could close AOL - and pretty much not have much reason to open it (unless I'm changing account information). And I could more easily check personal and business email by clicking a tab - instead of logging in and on one AOL screen.

I know from another thread not to have 2 or more Firefox windows open - but is there a problem having 2 AOL tabs open? Is it even possible to do that?

Ravencajun - I did eventually find a way to make my settings so that i see CC and BCC - but I can't find "reply all" anywhere - either on the screen - hidden or subtle - or in any of the setting options. So I'm still stumped on that one. It strikes me a huge missing piece to not be able to his reply all - but for the life of me, I can't find how to do this.

Lynn.

• marooma
    15 years ago

Lynn,

I just tried your idea about opening two tabs, one for each screename and it doesn't work for me. I signed in to AOL mail on one tab and when I tried to sign in on the second tab, it automatically opened to the same one I had open.
    You might try a Firefox addon called SimpleMail. It's easy to configure and can be setup for different screenames for AOL and other email too.
    Check it out at the link below and if you need help configuring it for AOL, post back. HTH.

Terry

Here is a link that might be useful: SimpleMail

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Terry - I looked at the simplemail add-on and the reviews were quite mixed. It seemed that many were having problems. More importantly, I had a hard time comprehending what the discussions were about - both the problems and recommended solutions seemed Greek to me. It does not seem simple to me at all. I'm not really sure what it's supposed to do (but problems about deleting from one spot and not having it deleted from the simplemail list would be very problematic for me since I often view and delete mail from work - or my laptop - or my desktop - it would be a hassle to have to re-delete and sort through mail i already read>)

if you think I have that wrong, please let me know.

Thanks.
    Lynn.

• marooma
    15 years ago

I think the biggest problems people have is the difference between IMAP and POP3 when configuring it. IMAP allows you to read your e-mail directly from the remote e-mail server, and the e-mail will remain accessible on the e-mail server even if you use a different computer to access it later. POP3 requires you to download your e-mail to your computer before you can read it, and the e-mail is deleted from the e-mail server as soon as it is downloaded, so the only copy of your e-mail is on the one computer used to read it.
    Either way can be used for AOL mail.
    The hardest thing is setting it up initially and it can be set up for more than one account with all incoming mail coming into the same inbox. But a different color envelope icon can be used to quickly identify the different addresses. I have it setup for two different email addresses and it works fine for me once I got it configured and started using it. I like it because it can be configured to check mail at whatever interval chosen and when a mail comes in it will notify at the bottom of Firefox. When the mailbox is opened it opens in a Firefox tab.
    HTH.
    Terry

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, Terry. That is very helpful. I guess POP3 is what I'd want. It seems as though that's what I'm getting when I open AOL email through the FF browser - bc. when I delete email, it's gone from other computers. Or at least I think it is. maybe I'm recollecting that incorrectly - bc. now I'm not sure if it's email I've deleted from my office laptop (using AOl software) that is gone from email I open at home through FF. now that I think about it, there are times when email appears that I've deleted - maybe that's when I delete it from home - via FF)- and then open email through AOL software at work. If that is the case, I will want to use POP3. Currently, I have my email on an open tab in FF - and it automatically makes a sound when a new email appears - I don't think I'm downloading it - it just shows up.

I do like the idea of having both my AOL screennames arrive in one place. It's rare that I get work emails and I don't want to have to go and keep checking for the rare time i get a work email. It would be much handier if it just showed up in my regular email. This is sounding like a good idea.

I thought there was another way to get both emails at the same time - can I do that through AOL linking the emails - or was that only through simplemail. I don't quite have a grasp on this yet, but I'm getting there.

On a separate note for anyone who wants to know, I accidentally stumbled on how to set up email in FF to be able to hit "reply all". At the bottom of the email window, all the way at the bottom in small print, are options for accessible basic etc. Once I clicked on Accessible version, it changed the appearance of the email and it gave me the option to "reply all."

Lynn.

• marooma
    15 years ago

Lynn,

I've been doing some searching and found out that you can link AOL screennames onto one AOL email webpage. It doesn't show both at one time but can be switched back and forth between the mailboxes on the same webpage. The instructions for setup and use are at the below link. I tried it and it worked. HTH. Terry

Here is a link that might be useful: Linked Screen Names in AOL Mail

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Terry - that was great - thanks. It completely did what I wanted to achieve. I can easily see if I've gotten new email on my other account without switching software, etc

Now a new problem occurred yesterday - before I made those changes - and I have no idea what I may have done to cause it. probably something I did in experimenting with all these different email issues. I had my firefox set up to send links in emails (from my AOL address). But now I'm trying to send my mother a link (for the emergency microsoft update from 2 days ago) - and when I'm in Firefox (and the computer forum thread is open - or any web page is open) - and I go to File - then click send link - it brings up an email form (with my screen name in AOL as the sender - so that party's working) - but a whole mishigosh of info (the link info, perhaps) appears in the space where I should be entering the email address I'm sending it to. I have no idea why that is happening. If I cut and paste that info into the body of the email - and send it to myself to test it - it doesn't appear to be a link to get me to the webpage I want). Seems to me that the webpage link should be referred to in the subject line - and supplied in the body of the email - not some mess of information occuring in the send to line.

I tried going to FF tools - applications- and mail to . I have several options to choose from - use AOL software (this appears twice - once with the AOL triangle with "default" in parentheses and once with what looks like a mail page form), and once it says use AOL mail. I think I've tried all three and it still doesn't work. And before I started trying to change my email settings this week, I think there was only 1 or 2 AOL options for mail application in Firefox.

Okay - so now I checked all three. On use AOL mail, it gives me the gibberish (somehow related to the webpage I'm trying to send a link for) in the to: line. If I choose use AOL software (default) - with the mail form logo - it goes to AOL software - sets up the email correctly with the information about the link in the subject line - and the to: field blank for me to fill in the recipient. But it wants me to sign on or the send button is faded and I can't click it. If I choose use AOL software (with the AOL logo - not the email logo), it takes me to the AOL software page and says this file may not be supported by AOL. AOL will try to send it as a text file (and if I choose to try, it will tell me the file is too big).

So I do I email somebody links?

Thanks.
    Lynn.

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay - No matter which of the three mail to options I pick (in firefox), if I go to File, Send Link - it puts the link in the To: field (where the address of recipient should be). So something isn't working like I would expect when I go to send link in the file drop down menu. It's possible I never tried to send a link before this way. So how do I send a link to someone in Firefox.

The other email situation is getting more clear but still not working. I think I need to select use AOL Mail. Then if I try - say to send an email to reply to a craigslist ad, etc - it gets the subject's address in the right spot, and lists me correctly as the sender - and I can type in the subject line and body of the email. But - when I try to hit send, it says that I can't put parenthesis in the BCC field. Now, I did not even have anything in the BCC field (although if I click that field and start typing an address, everything in that drop down list appears within parentheses). This problem occurs whether I have set up the mail (from settings in AOL mail) to show the cc and bcc fields, or not show them. Either way, when I try to send the mail, the bcc field appears - and whether I've typed an address without parentheses - or left the field blank - it says it can't send an email with parentheses in the bcc field.

Oh, boy - I think I'm not in Kansas any more. Help - can somebody help me follow the yellow brick road back home?

Thanks.
    Lynn.

• marooma
    15 years ago

Lynn,

About your first problem about sending links I've never done it that way either. I always right-click, select copy link location, and then paste it into the body of the email.
    I just checked mine on two different screenames and have no problems with BCC.

Terry

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again, Terry. I can't believe how complicated this has become. Right-clicking does not offer me a copy link option - but highlighting the address in the browser window allows me to copy the link - and that works.

But when I try to respond to an ad on craigslist, it's still insisting that there can't be any parentheses in the BCC field. But I don't even have the BCC field open. Guess later I'll have to check if this is happening on any other sites - like asking the seller a question on ebay, etc. I can now send email from my AOL mail through Firefox. And I can check both screennames easily. And I have a workaround to get to email links to people.

I'm getting there - but not being able to respond to a craigslist ad is an issue for me. I'm frequently looking around craigslist.

Thanks again.
    Lynn.

• marooma
    15 years ago

Lynn,

I only get the copy link location on webpage hyperlinks. If the hyperlink is an email link when I right-click on it, I get a popup with "copy email address."
    Maybe mine is different because I've reset my email client back to AOL 7.0.
    I use Windows XP Professional SP3 with Firefox 3.0.3.

Terry

• lynnalexandra
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have XP home SP@ and AOL 9.1 (I think) - but I don't think they're behaving differently. I just got your post emailed to me - I right clicked on the gardenweb/computer forum link - it gave me the option to "send link." But when I hit "send link" I have the same problem as I did with craigslist. It puts the link in the address field - after TO: _________.

So my problem is bigger than just craigslist. I can't send a link - no matter how I access that choice - and have the email work correctly. Very odd. And definitely different than it was earlier in the week. I know if worst comes to worst, I can do system restore - but I hate to undo the neat bookmark organization, lose new bookmarks and other good email changes I've made in the last couple of days. I'm hoping somebody can figure why "send link" puts the link in the address field.

Thanks.
    Lynn.