SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tamarahl

Jenn Air Induction Chipped on Corner - could it be a lemon?

tamarahl
10 years ago

Looking for advice on what to do next:
Last night my brand new Jenn Air 36" Induction cooktop with the floating black edge (not the Euro stainless) chipped in the corner, right near the edge of the countertop. I am baffled as to how it happened. I was not cooking, just putting away some stuff in a neighboring cabinet and my elbow brushed against the cooktop corner and I felt a sharp pain and then saw the glass was in many small pieces.

I called Jenn Air today, and reported the problem, but they told me if it is IMPACT-related it is NOT covered under warranty. If it is THERMAL related, then they WILL cover it. They recommend I have a service tech come out to look at it for $120, and then have him replace the glass top for an additional $345 plus labor. But, I don't want to pay for these repairs if the surface is so fragile, as I fear it will just happen again.

Background: I bought it from a local store in January 2013, had it delivered in April 2013, and finally installed in September, less than a month ago. I have not even used it for weekend pancakes and bacon yet!

Has anyone else had this issue? Do I have any recourse? I really do not want to go out and buy another brand/style induction cooktop.

Comments (44)