SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drewsak

(Lazy-pup) Dishwasher Help - Air Gap or High Loop

drewsak
13 years ago

I moved into an existing home in February 2010. Home was built in 2003. The dishwasher that was there was a GE Profile that had an air gap on the countertop. Dishwasher worked fine. Shortly after we moved in, we replaced the countertops with granite. The granite company recommended we get a new faucet that would only put 3 holes in the granite vs. 4. So we did. The granite company had to use a certified Plummer to reconnect the dishwasher which we paid for in the total bill.

Fast forward about 2 months. Our dishwasher is not cleaning the dishes and they do not dry. We save up money to buy a new dishwasher and it was installed last week (Replaced with similar GE Profile). The GE installer ask us what was wrong with the dishwasher and we tell him it's not cleaning the dishes and they are still wet after running. They look and that the hose is run out of the side of the dishwasher directly in the bottom hole on the cabinet. They said that was my problem. That since we did not have air gap and the hose was run through the bottom of the cabinet vs. up high that the water could not drain out, eventually ruining the dishwasher. So they connected the new one with hose running to the top.

I have been talking to the granite company trying to get this resolved but the plummer states that this has never been an issue.

I live in Mansfield, TX which adopts the 2006 International Plumbing Code but I can't seem to find the exact documentation/verbiage that states "if no air gap, then run a high loop with the hose". I've seen it stated many times on plumming forums that this is how the code says it should be done.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE I CAN FIND THIS 2006 IPC? AND IF THIS PLUMMER RUINED MY DISHWASHER??

Thanks in Advance!

Comments (4)