SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
telly2_gw

HP Pavilion with bad motherboard ?

telly2
14 years ago

I have an HP Pavilion a6500f which I have had for exactly one year, and which I love. It has every feature I need, and until this month have had no problems at all with it. 3 weeks ago however I was able to power up, but the monitor would only go into sleep mode. No loading of Vista ever showed up on the monitor. I called an independent computer service company to come to my home, and they diagnosed a bad motherboard. Their service tech waited 2 weeks, then called to say he was having trouble finding a replacement motherboard. Another week went buy, tech not returning my calls now. Hubby said 'take it back to Best Buy' where it was purchased and let their Geek Squad take a look. They are sending it to Kentucky to confirm the problem, but they also said that a new board would likely run $300 to $600.00 ! They also commented that this particular model has been discontinued. I'm pretty upset about this, since I can't really afford this kind of repair, especially since I should be able to purchase a new tower for much less. Again this computer was purchased in Sept 08, and in Oct of 09 I already have a bad motherboard ? Does anyone here think that either Best Buy or HP is going to give me any kind of break on this repair, or am I looking at buying a new tower ? Should I just cross my fingers that the original technician is wrong ? What would you do ?

Comments (10)