SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpgreen

Cannibalizing a laptop for parts

bpgreen
15 years ago

I have a couple of older Dell laptops (Inspiron 1000) that are ok for light use (like web browsing or editing a single doc at a time), but not much more. I use one and my wife uses one. The screen on mine started going blank recently. I know it works other than the screen because I can connect a monitor to it or connect via VNC and everything is working. My wife recently spilled a soda on part of her keyboard. Everything still works, but a couple of keys are sticky.

I bought a laptop on ebay that has a bad motherboard, so I'm thinking I can take the motherboard from mine and put in the ebay laptop and take my keyboard and put in my wife's PC.

I've replaced laptop RAM, hard drives and CD/DVD drives before and have replaced pretty much everything on desktops, but haven't swapped things like motherboards or keyboards.

Has anybody done this type of surgery? I haven't taken a laptop completely apart, so I don't know if much is involved in it or not.

Of course, about an hour ago, I logged in via VNC, applied the updates and rebooted and the laptop screen has been fine since, so maybe all I'll need to replace is my wife's keyboard, but I'll still be happy because I'll have a spare battery and power supply for less than either would normally cost.

Comments (6)