SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
midwestmama_gw

Ovens... Double, Single, Freestanding questions

midwestmama
14 years ago

We're designing our kitchen and I need to decide which what type of ovens we want. I grew up with double ovens, though only used them for cookie baking. I have had a regular freestanding stove since then and it isn't often a problem, though there are times I wish I had another (or more notably, a smaller) oven to bake in. We have a glass top and we are unable to keep it clean, it keeps burning on things to the surface, like boiled over noodles etc... We have 4 boys, they like to "help" cook, which could explain the look of our stove top. So I was thinking induction either way.

Some of the new houses we looked at (spec homes) alloted $3000 for appliances, and as I looked at the prices today on different options I would exceed that in just this appliance! I'm having a little panic attack over that!

Space isn't a major issue as we are just getting set to design the kitchen so I can design in what I want/need most. We do eat at home often and entertain friends regularly.

As a side... when my mother replaced her double oven (it was a freestanding double with the 2nd oven up on top like a microwave, it was harvest gold to give you an idea on the era) she ended up replacing it with a standard stove and a special (and super expensive) microwave that supposedly would work as the 2nd oven. She was so excited, but we all HATE the microwave. It is so complicated to use and never cooked well, except as a microwave. So I don't think that is the route I would like to take.

What about just getting a good toaster oven plus a regular stove, is this adequate? I have never had one, so I don't know...

I was so excited to do a custom build because of all of the choices we would have to make this really fit US, but now I'm just overwhelmed!!!

Comment (1)