SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

Personality & Building - What does it take?

DLM2000-GW
11 years ago

This forum has been a constant source of information and voyeuristic entertainment for me but since we're not building and never thought we would, I enjoy it at arms length. Well..... that may be changing. DH and I have been planning for a move from suburban Chicago to the Asheville, NC area (emphasis on area) but are really disappointed with the houses we've seen, building techniques and condition. We are *considering* building. DH is far more comfortable with that prospect than I am as he's an engineer and his business is home remodeling and repair. I'm the one who reads this forum, follows your build stories and it scares the heck out of me, to be honest!! Remodeling an existing house I could practically do with my eyes closed but the build from scratch idea overwhelms me.

IF we did this, I'd insist we move there and into a rental as there's no way I'd consider doing it long distance. But beyond that, I'm concerned that I don't have the personality to build. Maybe I'm kidding myself but it seems to me there are different levels of building a home. I'm not a subdivision type person and would not be happy with a choice of 5 models and pick your finishes type of thing (and everyone else in the subdivision having the same choices) but the other end of that spectrum is a long process of finding an architect, finding land, going back and forth over plans, making a gazzillion choices in a limited time frame, then monitoring the build and making more decisions because it seems there are always more to be made..... and on and on.

Where's the middle ground? *IS* there middle ground? The remodeling and additions we've done over the years require decisions certainly, but those are done in bite sized chunks, not a whole house at a time. This would not be a retirement move but an empty nesters ready for a lifestyle change move and we don't need/want a huge or grand house. So my question is, assuming there might be a way to do this, where does that middle ground type of building begin? (does it have a name?) What comes first, the chicken or the egg? The land or the general plan? A builder or an architect? Or should I accept that I'm build-challenged and continue looking for a house, hoping to find something structurally superior to what we've seen that is worth remodeling?

Comments (17)