SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swimkin

How long does it take to build a custom home?

Zoe52
16 years ago

I know this can vary widely. But what ballpark should we be looking at based on the following"

We are finishing up our design plans. Our home is going to be roughly 4200 square feet total with about 3700 square feet of conditioned space. We have already selected kitchen appliances, windows, doors, and all our exterior materials and surfaces. We already have a custom design company that we will use to design all the cabinetry throughout the house (kitchens, bath, library, and other built-ins). We plan to have most of our materials selected before we start to build.

My DH wants to start building at the earliest beginning next September 2008. He will officially be retiring from his company here in 2010. If we sell quickly, He would have to commute by plane back here in NY from NC on occasion to do his job. He is hoping not to have to do for a very long time.

We have not selected our builder officially, but have spoken with two custom builders whom we will be running our plans by over the next several months. They both live and build exclusively in the development where our home is being built so they will most likely be available whenever we decide to start building our new home. They also have their own subcontractors that they use in the development.

I would like to start next fall as I would think that building then would be the ideal time for us. I am thinking we would be finishing up sometime in 2009. We are building in the coastal plains of NC just outside of Wilmington so I think the heat would be worse on the build than the winter would be. I do realize rain, subcontractor availability, and other unexpected events can cause delays.

So with the above information in hand, how long should we expect our home to take for completion?

Comments (26)