SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hartwood_gw

How to Attach AO Corner Shelves in New Shower?

hartwood
13 years ago

I usually hang out over on the Roses Forums, but I need some bathroom help, so I jumped over here.

I am in the home stretch of a complete bathroom redo with new EVERYTHING. For the past couple of days, I have been installing AO 3x6 subway tile in the new shower. I missed my opportunity during framing and wall installation to design and build a niche, so I decided it would be okay to use a couple of the matching ceramic corner shelves instead. I left out the tiles where the corner shelves will go ... and now I'm stressing about making sure that the shelves will be installed securely.

The shower is Hardibacker with 2 coats of Redgard, and I'm using "Mapei Ultraflex 1 Tile Mortar with Polymer". Is this really sufficient to install these shelves, as I have read? I was thinking, 1/4" notch, taped in place, and left to cure for a couple of days.

When I gutted this bathroom, I removed a tub with mortar-bed and tile walls, and I had to hammer the 40-year-old soap dishes off the wall, and they appeared to be installed right along with the tile, using the same mortar.

Normally, I'm not the type who gets all nervous about remodeling and renovating. I tend to jump in and figure out all the details as I come to them ... except this. Any help will be VERY much appreciated. Photos to come soon. I know how much we all LOVE to see other people's projects.

Thanks,

Connie

Comments (3)