SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Ultraportable Laptops - seeking opinions

lynnalexandra
15 years ago

My compulsive search for my next laptop continues - complicated only by the fact that I'm on vacation in a beach town which has no stores that carry any of the ones I'm interested in - so I can't see them in person.

From what I'm reading, I'm interested in the Lenovo Thinkpad X61. I don't know how to copy and paste on the laptop I'm borrowing, so I can't link some of the ones I"m considering. Depending on how I configure it, the cost will be $1000-1500 range. It can have XP, fast centrino duo core or penryn processor, roughly 200 GB 7200 rpm hard drive, 3 GB RAM, only integrated video card, wireless a,g,n (I want good reception in areas where I frequently would use the laptop and can't connect with my wireless b.

Pros include full-size keyboard (supposed to be the best on a ultraportable), lightweight, trackstick (?) - no touchpad, XP.

Possible cons include no touch pad (although I hate using toughpads and might prefer the trackstick (or whatever it's called - trackpoint?). And it has no optical drive (no CD,DVD burner built in). Have to buy docking base with dvd burner (about $250). I think this is okay bc. it allows weights around 3 pounds with battery (I don't really think I need DVD drive when I want to just grab it and go for the day). I think I can burn any movies, etc that I"d want to watch for a day or more (it's also easy to carry those on my ipod for travel).

I'm not prepared to switch to macbook, so the other possibilities are Toshiba and Dell ultraportables. I hear the Sony's break down too easily. The HP's looked appealing, but I don't hear good things bout HP laptops (and I"m not sure I can get them with XP).

I'd love opinions on Thinkpad, Dell and Toshiba ultraportables - and the general notion of ultraportables. I am fairly sure that the bulk of my office work, heavy lifting can be done on my desktop (which has quad core and 500 GB hard drive). I think I'll use it more if I can easily grab it and go - either to the back yard, or coffee shop, etc. At the 5-6 pound range, I don't carry it around unless I'm going to be using it for a couple of hours or more. I'm not inclined to schlepp it for a 1 1/2 hour hair appointment (I think with a 3-3 1/2 pound one, I'll use it more).

Thanks.

Lynn.

Comments (4)