SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenjrev

Is this a tile disaster or am I over reacting?

jenjrev
14 years ago

I'm struggling with how to handle this with my contractor and whether it is as big a deal as it feels right now.

My subway tile surround went up. First time I saw it, I noticed that there was a significantly larger gap between the tile and the tub on one side than the other. I mentioned it to him. He assured me repeatedly that once the grout/caulk went in, it would be fine. Well now he has grouted the seam and it just looks worse. A nice 1/16" seam on the left side and then as you go around the tub it gets larger and larger and maxes out at 3/4"!! I pulled out a level tonight and sure enough, the tile simply wasn't install horizontally.

I am devastated because I know it will glare at me everytime I see it. Besides, the 3/4" seam is opposite from the shower head so I can't imagine how water will not penetrate into it.

This is a big deal, right? Is it big enough that I basically ask him to remove all the tile and start over at his expense? That feels like a huge thing to ask but is there any other way to fix it?

Comments (13)