SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyjoyjoy_gw

2 year old bathroom remodel already needs an update

joyjoyjoy
14 years ago

*sigh* I saw this coming. Well not this exact problem, but just not doing it the right way the first time, makes for more work in the long run. We're hoping to do our kitchen this spring, but the bathroom is directly above it. We need to take care of it first.

Anyway, long story short I came home one day to dh smashing plaster walls down in the bathroom. I had a vision of what i wanted but no plans. I had to make purchases quickly and buy what was available locally. While I do like the final result, I have never been 100% happy with the choices I was forced to make. I love to bargain hunt, but without some time for the deals to fall into place, many choices were "cheap" versus frugal.

Anyway - back to my problem. We bought a cheap shower. The floor is plastic with some sort of foam underneath for support. There is now a small crack in the plastic. Right now i have some clear packing tape over it, and everyone knows to avoid stepping on that spot, but its only a matter of time until it is major problem letting water into the floor/ceiling of our kitchen.

The shower is small - only takes up a 34x34 area. Behind shower is our bedroom closet. My thought is to build a wall and tile the entire thing, and have a glass door on one side. Im wondering if this will be too dark, or cramped feeling though? - It could go a little deeper - we'd just have a wall at the end of that tub ledge, that would give us another 6 inches. We could go wider too and overlap some of that linen closet, which thank goodness hasnt been built yet. The temporary shelves are still there since we are still on the fence about removing the chimney or not. ;) And since we just built all of this two years ago, changing layout & structure just isnt an option. the only way to go bigger is to go into the bathroom, not back into the closet.

This shows the view from the doorway.

{{gwi:1467648}}

Here's the view from the throne.;

{{gwi:1467649}}

Here's a rough sketch of the current floor plan as is.

{{gwi:1500643}}

Here's what it would be if we built a wall & stuck to the 34x34 area. That would leave a 34 inches between the corner of the shower, and the corner of the vanity. I'd want the door on the side facing the stool to allow some natural light in. As you can see there isnt much room, but there is a little wiggle room to widen it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

{{gwi:1500644}}

Comment (1)