SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klippenwald

Anybody build their own house with or partly with stone?

Klippenwald
12 years ago

Read the architect thread here* and am pretty much having the same experience. We want a That said, we are considering discontinuing their services. We'll work with them a bit longer to see if we can come to an understanding, but if not:

Has anyone gone solo as a hammer in hand builder or as a contractor and built their own house? I'm especially interested in any insight on building with stone, stone facade, faux stone or even that pressed-in stone pattern on cement. I do have some construction experience, though it's pretty much all interior work, so I'll be leaving the foundation, framing, roof and the majority of the exterior to the pros. We'll be doing much of the inside ourselves, regardless of the path taken.

I pretty much have a handle on the pricing for much of these, but what are the pros and cons of the materials or doing any work with these materials by the non-pro?

Just for more info the climate is Hudson Valley area, NY, so wet and freezing temps are what can be expected for the exterior material.

*http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/build/msg0312515220078.html?51

Comment (1)