SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twisterhelen

Who should I believe?

Twisterhelen
11 years ago

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here but I have been reading this forum for several years.

We are in the middle of putting a full bath in a previous bedroom. The room was entirely gutted, plumbing rough-in, tub placed,electrical & drywall are all finished.

This is going to be a tub/shower combo with the end and side wall of the tub being tiled and of course the floor.

I have had 7 so called "tile experts" out here to bid the tile install. Out of those 7 only 2 said that they would use any type of waterproofing membrane. One used Kerdi and the other Redguard. All of the rest said that it wasn't needed and they don't use any type of membrane in the wet area saying that the Durarock, mortar and travertine tile are all waterproof and I should not have any issues!

The Kerdi guy gave me the creeps so he's out and the Redguard guy priced it twice as high as everyone else because he didn't want to drive all the way out here.

Who should I believe and does it really matter that much in the end? Should I keep looking and insist on a waterproof membrance or am I making to much of this?

Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Comments (14)