SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tos_go

Value 36 pro ranges?

10 years ago

First time posting, so be gentle!

Last September, I built my dream kitchen. It was a small space, but I spared no expense. Unfortunatly, due to an unexpected job opportunity, I had to sell the house in August, 11 months after my dream kitchen. I did not get one dime out of the kitchen. It was $50k, right down the drain. I hope the new owner is enjoying it, at least.....

Meanwhile, I'm building a new home in my new location. I will not be able to build as nice of a kitchen as I gave up, but the one area I decided I didn't want to skimp on was the range. I had a dual fuel 30" Viking in my last kitchen. I know others have had problems, and I may have as well, if I stayed there longer. But I don't want to go back to a non-pro style range. I loved the control I had over simmer, I love the sear I got on meats, I loved the convection oven, and I loved that I could boil a big pot of water in no time flat. And also I loved the look - I am a little shallow in that I like my kitchen to look beautiful. The rest of my home won't, so I need my sanctuary!

However, I'm once bitten twice shy.... I know I won't be in this house forever. Realistically, I'll be here 5-7 years. I have the option of putting in a 30" or a 36" range, and I would really like the extra cooktop space, and the ability to use a real griddle, not one laid across two burners. But knowing that I may not be here forever, I'm not sure I want to spend $7k+ on a 36" range. I also never know where I'll end up next, and if I end up back in a big city apartment, I can't really take it with me.

So I need suggestions - what are some lower priced 36" ranges that would give me the performance I need? Does it make more sense to go with a 30" range, grab an extra 6" in cabinet space (which I will use), and go with a higher end 30" range?

Thanks for all the advice!

Comments (7)