SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jobird_gw

Replaced my microwave's blown fuse

jobird
16 years ago

My 15 y/o MW died recently and I was just about to buy a new one,when it occurred to me that it might be just something as simple as a blown internal fuse. I figured that if the MW had to be replaced,my removing the cover wasn't going to make it worse. So, I unplugged the MW from the electrical outlet and removed several screws that were holding the cover on. I found the cylindrical fuse in a very open and obvious space. Knowing there might a risk of electrical shock,even with an unplugged MW, I was very careful not to touch anything but the fuse using insulted pliers. I couldn't tell if the fuse was bad,but I got the numbers (amps and volts) off the fuse and headed to Lowe's. There I found the exact appliance fuse. I replaced the fuse in the MW and put the cover back on. That was about a month ago and the MW has worked perfectly since. The cost was $10 for a package of two fuses.

I knew the risks involved (electrical shock),but having experience as a Ham Radio operator,I was comfortable replacing the fuse. I never work on anything that is plugged into an electrical power source,and neither should you. Remember too,even unplugged electrical appliances can have stored electrical energy,so extreme caution must be used to avoid electrical shock.

Comments (2)