SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chas045

How to work with google chrome

chas045
11 years ago

While I was having problems with Explorer, grandms mentioned that I should give google chrome a test run. I guess that I must be missing a basic intuition about computer usage. Even though the icons in explorer and firefox were not obvious, it was clear that one of them was to be able to choose links from the typed history. Have they hidden it in chrome? Why?

Comments (14)

• urlee
    11 years ago

chas,
    Because of grandms, I too DL'd and am using google chrome and like it VERY much!
    To access History, click and HOLD down on the arrow pointing to the left at the top left side of your screen. At the bottom of the drop down list, see "Show Full History".
    That is the BEST I have seen yet in a browser. LOVE it!

• chas045
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can't say I'm impressed yet. First, the hold the back arrow didn't do anything. I had, of course, gone to garden web a few times using chrome and closed it afterwards. I don't know why I didn't look at the tool icon before and I see that it points to a history 'cont. H'that will list the complete dated history which is nice but it would be overwhelming after days or weeks or years of use.

• DA_Mccoy
    11 years ago

Ctrl H

DA

• Elmer J Fudd
    11 years ago

To the user, most browsers resemble most others. Differences between one and another are rarely significant.

They all work the same way, doing the same thing. More or less.

• DA_Mccoy
    11 years ago

In my little world Snidely is correct. I often share that they are 90% the same.

DA

• urlee
    11 years ago

{{gwi:1492112}}

• DA_Mccoy
    11 years ago

That's the same presentation as ctrl H.

DA

• chas045
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, damccoy and snidely. I agree. I assumed all browsers were similar. That's why my question was formed more like a complaint. My point was that chrome in fact doesn't seem to work like the others.

Thanks urlee, nice info and great display. HOWEVER while I suppose I would really enjoy finding links while I was ALREADY in one site (and I haven't noticed that the other browsers let me do it) what I (and almost everyone else) often need to do after going online is to choose one of the main sites I was on in my recent life eg gardenweb. While I see what you showed once I am in another site is the complete history. BUT it is NOT available from the home page and as I said I wouldn't want to see the complete overwhelming history then.

So again, since these browsers are supposed to be the same, where is it hidden?

• urlee
    11 years ago

In my little world Snidely is correct. I often share that they are 90% the same.
    DA
    I agree too and find I have to resort back to IE for a function others do not have. Nothing is 100% to our liking. It is a matter of what you prefer to use the most to your liking. Thanks for the better way of getting to History! "Smart Feller".

Chas, You are welcome. Thank you for thanking me. I forgot to add that to my first reply back to help show what I mean.
    I will have to study your last question as it didn't quite soak in as to what you mean. Forgive me as sometimes I have a thick skull. (smiles)
    Somebody brighter will answer that I am sure.

• not2bright
    11 years ago

When it comes to security, though, isn't there something to be said in favor of FF + NoScript, esp. in light of all the dangerous things out there that use Java ? (I speak as a huge novice here.) Being able to selectively allow scripts with NoScript (which blocks all by default) is a bit of an advantage to other browsers with functions which only allow users to turn Java on or off. Or, in Opera's case, one can 'edit site preferences' to allow or disallow all scripts on a per site basis, but it's still allowing ALL scripts on a given site. One cannot select which ones to allow/disallow. Giving the user the ability to allow just a script associated with the main site while blocking all other unnecessary scripts from running is a boon for web-surfers, no ?

I realize that there are some NoScript wannabees out there (NotScript, ScriptNo) which work with Chrome & Opera, but a lot of comments I read about them suggest they are not as user-friendly and not as efficient as the original NoScript, which (unfortunately for IE, Chrome and Opera users) only works with FF.

How important should this matter be for chas045 and the rest of us when choosing a browser ?

• DA_Mccoy
    11 years ago

Urlee,

I am not quite sure either. If he is looking for a roster of only the current session your post is utile without the need to click on the Show Full History.

N2B,
    I am not one to be paranoid. My position is as long as my Java, Flash, and Shockwave are current along with current AV and malware detection applications I fear not that the sky will be falling.

DA

• chas045
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi urlee, well thank you for thanking me for thanking you [;-). Now that I have reread my original post, I see that it was too short and that I was asking about the home page wouldn't have been clear to anyone who already knew much more than me about browsers. When you don't know much, you don't know what to ask; and when you know more, you don't know what to answer!

• mxyplx
    11 years ago

I don't give a script. :-)

• mikie_gw
    11 years ago

a script in time saves 9, ÃÂ or something like that