SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marymt_gw

Has anyone mixed tile from the same series?

marymt
14 years ago

My frustration with tile choices is that I was going for a slate look with porcelain. But all the series have a strong color cast in each choice. Daltile Calais spring is overall blue; Marazzi Jade Sage is overall green; my latest favorite, Mohawk Montara in Sage Brush is also overall green, but with some decided rust and brown pieces.

My other favorite, discontinued but available from some sources online is Crossville Journey. It's not slate, but it is really beautiful. This one is made for mixing; the 3 color choices have only subtle differences. Here's a photo from the brochure, showing the 3 mixed:

{{gwi:1496070}}

But, I wonder if I can do that with a tile like the Mohawk where the differences are more pronounced. I would only use the Sage Brush, Gold Coast and maybe some Red Rock (see link below). Maybe you have to over order so you can select the most harmonious tiles? Has anyone tried a similar approach? Obviously, even natural slate like Indian Autumn (is that the name?) have enormous variation. But Mother Nature is a better designer than I!

I notice that most manufacturers (including Mohawk) make a mosaic out of the series choices, and they all seem to work well in the 2-inch tile mosaic. But I just wonder if it would work with large tiles over a 10 x 6 bathroom with freestanding tub? My draft drawing, just to give you an idea of the space (shower walls and wainscot also tile):

{{gwi:1496071}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Mohawk Montara

Comments (5)