SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

can we talk about cabinetry pricing?

kateskouros
14 years ago

as i'm sure you are all aware, the cabinetry in a new home can be astronomical. i've been obsessing over it before the first tree came down on the lot. we got our total in yesterday and i think there are definitely some areas that need to be reduced, cost wise. in regard to our kitchen: it's large. but i designed it and shopped the drawing out to six or seven different cabinet makers, including one semi-custom line (which was one of the most expensive ...go figure). i'm very happy with the cabinet maker as he's been great to work with; plus he is charging what we feel is a fair price for our custom, painted maple kitchen. the hardware is excellent quality and he's given me specs on everything, down to the pedals on the trash cans.

we are obviously happy with the kitchen and comfortable with the price. but we still are looking at a hutch for the breakfast room (which is actually a hidden desk), the mudroom/pantry, laundry room, three custom vanities, my husband's study and a large expanse of cabinetry for what will be our gallery/library. i can't even talk about that without shedding a tear, as it most likely won't get done; at least not right away. the cost is too prohibitive.

in an effort to trim these costs i have had the mudroom/pantry, "her" master closet (which is MINE), our daughter's closet and the laundry room priced out in thermofoil. i'm not really thrilled about this as i would prefer not to have any out gassing from materials but i thought it would substantially reduce the bottom line.

if you don't mind, i'd like to run a few of the drawings by you, with pricing in thermo foil. please tell me what you think, because i'm thinking they could be made with wood for at least the same amount.

drawing number 1: mudroom lockers. each locker measures approx -/+20" wide and has a door. two drawers below each locker and shelving above. four lockers in an 80" space. QUOTE: $4600

{{gwi:1492311}}

pantry (directly across from lockers) 80" wide. QUOTE: $4600.

{{gwi:1492312}}

laundry room: 6'x11'. QUOTE $4600 (AGAIN!)

again, these are the prices for thermofoil cabinets. i'm having a hard time figuring out why the mudroom lockers and pantry should cost as much as the laundry room...

and for further comparison, this is the desk/hutch for the kitchen. it measures 8.5' across and will be stained maple w/seeded glass doors. QUOTE $5400.

could you please tell me what you think of the pricing? thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (21)