SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
allison0704_gw

My ARC Nigthmare has begun - Sue36 ??

allison0704
16 years ago

Okay, for four years (two since we moved in) I've been saying how our HOA/ARC is okay 99% of the time. Until now.....

Our required fencing is/was the Kentucky 4 board fencing in kreosote, which isn't environmentally friendly and burns the horses necks. So, they added the option of using pressure treated lumber and staining espresso (cannot tell the difference from the road).

Kreosote comes in "true" measurements - 4x4, 5x5 and 6x6 post

Pressure treated comes in non exact measurements - 4x4 and 6x6 (no 5x5).

We recently spent 2 months building over 1200 running ft of fencing. One month after we finish, they see our fence and say it is not up to the new specs which require 6x6 post along the street, facing neighbors and/or common area.

We used 6x6 PT along the street and 4x4 (since they don't come in 5x5) between us and the neighbors and along the common area - which is all woods and/or the dam which no one goes on but us and the landscape company to cut. The reason we switched is we were combining the old specs with the new specs. The new spec are not very clear, ttytt. Also, the cost of a 4x4 was $4.38 and the 6x6 are over $16 each...and DH would not have been physically able to do the entire fence line in 6x6.

(sorry so long). One homeowner is on the ARC (Architectural Review Committee). She saw it as we were building and said it looked great. She even said 'why waste the money on wood once you get into the woods. You should switch to chain link.' I told her no, that we like the 4 board fencing.

They sent us a letter today telling us to "reconstruct" our fence. *eyes rolling* Why are my eyes rolling? The homeowner, who is not on the ARC but came with her to look over our fence (he is in charge of keeping the landscaping up to par - which is a joke, it's not) HIS fence is not up to the new specs. His fence was approved when ours was but DH hurt his shoulder so we didn't get started for 5 months. He used PT 6x6 but his running boards, that are suppose to be 1" x 6.5" is only 1/2" thick. Ours are 1", btw. They have not told him to reconstruct his fence.

Another owner is construction a fence now using kreosot, but using 5x5 along the street instead of 6x6.

A third homeowner built after the first man I talk about - they did not use 6x6. Nothing is consistent.

btw, the homeowner/builder next door to us told the ARC she was not going to complain about the fence - she can't really see it from her house, especially once it's stained.

So, my question for the legal eagels - DH said they cannot do "selective enforcement" of the code. Either we all change out our fencing or no one changes their fencing. We took pictures today using a yard stick, so measurements are clearly wrong.

DH wants to write a letter telling them of the other violations constructed in the same time frame and that we will change ours if they are told to change theirs.

One thing we could do, if they said okay, is add boards (1 by's) to our 4x4 making them 6x6. Much easier than taking up 1200ft of fencing.

One thing I would like to point out, but DH said not in the first letter, is the management company had MONTHS to see us constructing the fence and saying something. Off the top of my head, I wrote 4 legal pages full of covenant violations. Major ugly house down the street is an eyesore to the entire neighborhood (Homeowner on the ARC told me the roofing theyu used was NOT approved) and two other houses were built with-in set back limits but their answers to the neighbors at that time were "the foundation is already poured." imo, a much more serious issue than a fence no one but us will see. btw, we live 3 miles in from the main gate and are the last house in our cul-de-sac.

Thoughts? (I'm not interested and won't be reading any "you should have known better, it serves you right, etc. That's not what I'm asking about. I'm hoping Sue36 will take a gander and give me her thoughts on "selective enforcement.") TIA.

Comments (63)