SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckyg75

Immediate bathroom grout & sealant help, pretty please!

beckyg75
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

So, the past few weeks I have been watching the tile go up and asked my contractor to bring me his kits so I can pick grout colors. I know that his default is laticrete or mapei unsanded grout, b/c he mentioned that.

Then I was talking to someone and they asked me if my contractor had sealed the stone prior to grouting. Also, they mentioned that for glass mosaics with big gaps (irregular mosaic) I should be using a urethane grout.

Please clarify, someone, what the *best* options are for me. I am not looking to save money and will gladly pay up if the product is better.

1. Bath walls: polished white thassos marble mosaic (I was thinking about using white grout - which one though?)

2. Bath walls: glass tile (I was thinking about using Starquartz starglass urethane grout made especially for glass tiles.)

3. Bath walls: honed statuary marble (white grout again?)

4. Bath walls: mixed mosaic containing both marble and glass tiles (was thinking of using a urethane grout)

5. For the stone, what sealant and

6. when to apply sealant (before grouting, after grouting, both of the above?) and how many times?

Lastly, in one of the bathrooms there is a dark border on the floor (6x12" limestone tiles) and a light field tile (4x12" polished calacutta.) Both are natural stone.

7. Can I use a dark grout on the border tiles so it fades away, and a light grout in the center field tiles?

Thanks, and sorry for so many questions!

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!