SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
secsteve

External Hard Drive Questions

secsteve
16 years ago

I need to get an external hard drive as the other party here has learned how to use iTunes and is rapidly filling up the 80GB drive we have.

Here are my questions which I tried searching for answers here first, but didn't find anything close.

First off, I've been told (by out of area cousin computer wiz) the best way to figure out whether a big hard drive (at least 750) is cost efficient is to take GB divided by price. I'm totally lost on that one. Doesn't it just make more sense to get the bigger hard drive? Using that formula a 750 Gb priced at $299.99 would cost 2.50 per byte if I understood cousin correctly. Whereas a 320 at 179.99 would be $1.77. Does it really matter all that much?

Second issue is backup/cloning/whatever internal hard drive to external drive. Some of the software that comes with larger hard drives, and others sold seperately, seem to indicate you can backup entire system. Does that mean operating system? I got one of those "came with everthing but disk" computers and have made recovery disks. Can you really backup an entire OS as well as everything on the drive?

Lastly cousin tried to explain concept of RAID and totally lost me. Anyone know what he means and can explain this in laymen terms for me?

Thanks for the help. I really like this forum and have gotten some very useful info from here.

Comments (9)