SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Removing external hard drive - 2 questions

lynnalexandra
13 years ago

I want to remove my external hard drive from my pc (XP) so I can open up my case and change the second hard drive. I wanted to click the safely remove hardware icon - but it's not there anymore. I'm assuming I have to safely remove this hard drive (which is connected via esata port). How can I do this if I can't find the icon. Where did the icon go?

My second question is the order of operations. Do I turn off the hard drive first (it is an on/off switch), disconnect from pc first, turn off pc first? disconnect from power adapter? What is the order of shutting things down and disconnecting them to safely remove my hard drive.

Then I have the reverse question. When I reattach the hard drive, what's the order of operation? connect to pc while it's off? then turn it on? then turn pc on?

And if it's an external hard drive without an on/off switch, what's the order.

Now that we're trying to be more diligent about backing up our data, my family has a few external hard drives, so I want to be sure I'm doing this correctly so we don't damage the files or the drive itself.

Thank you.

Lynn.

PS - I also wonder if I shut off the pc, does that circumvent the need to safely remove hardware? If I can't find the safely remove hardware icon, can I do this by shutting down the computer first - then turn off ext. hard drive - then disconnect from pc?

Comments (6)