SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
audrey_gw

Question about external hard drive

audrey_gw
15 years ago

Hi! I just purchased a FreeAgent Pro external hard drive on E-bay to store my photos on. I got a good deal on it because it was one of those "new but in an open box" items. I was able to install it okay. However, no icon appeared on my desktop and the drive shows up as completely empty--even though the box says "software and electronic documentation pre-loaded on the data-mover drive."

When I queried the seller--who has a good reputation--he said it was supposed to be an empty drive. But shouldn't there at least be a manual on there somewhere? (There was no indication in the ad that anything was missing.)

I was able to find an owner's manual on the Seagate website, but it's a pdf file and those always seem to freeze up for me. I am not a computer expert, so I really need instructions!

I was able to create a new file in the drive and paste my photos to it. But I couldn't see any way of saving the file. And, when I try to remove the hard drive, using the "safely remove hardware" thing, my computer tells me that "Windows can't stop your generic volume device because it is in use." Any advice?

Comments (7)