SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
apriljoy88

hardiebacker board and porcelain tile floor and tub surround

apriljoy88
12 years ago

Newbie here. :)

My boyfriend and I are planning our first tiling project. We have the tile (12x12 porcelain, 6" mosaic trim and 3x12 porcelain bullnose) and have also purchased 1/4" hardieboard for the flooring and 1/2" hardieboard for the tub surround.

I am wondering about what thinset is best to use under the hardieboard on the floor? What brand and what store to purchase from? Can we use this same thinset between the hardiebacker and tile? We have 1/2" subfloor and are installing new 1/4" OSB on top of that as well before the thinset and hardieboard.

Our plan for the grout is to use Mapei Keracolor S grout with the Grout Maximizer. Does anyone have any experience with those products? The claim is that you don't have to seal if you use the Grout Maximizer...is that true?

None of the tub walls are exterior walls so we just planned on using the hardiebacker and then tiling. Is that ok? Do we need to do something else? Where on the wall should we start the tiling? The tub is 18" high and then we planned on going up with four 12x12 tiles, placing a 6" mosaic trim and then a 3" bullnose. We aren't going up to the ceiling with the tile. We planned on a 1/4" grout line.

Any other tips and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

April

Comments (8)