SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flgargoyle

Different approach to garage door?

flgargoyle
11 years ago

The pic below says it all- What do you think of a man door on the front of a garage, directly adjacent to the overhead door? Let me explain the thought process behind this:

The 'farm' and barn are to the right in this view, so the nearest door for a grubby husband is the front door = bad.

Our lot is sloped, so the house sits on a walk-out basement. I could go in the basement (in the back) but then have to walk through the basement and up the stairs. The garage, on the other hand, connects to the house via a hallway where the mudroom is. I could put the man door on the side, but then I would have to walk that much further, and then around the car. I could also open the overhead door, but that seems like a lot of bother.

The garage location is already set, so there's no changing it. For a variety of reasons, it just wouldn't have worked on the right side anyhow.

More info- the garage is set back a couple feet from the main house, and there is a front porch projecting outward 12', so the garage won't be as noticeable as it is in the sketch. Having the garage door shifted to the left, rather than centered is actually a good thing, as there will be a couple steps going up into the house. If the car is too close to the steps, the car door will hit the steps when opened.

My concerns are 1) Would people confuse the man door on the garage with the front door to the house? 2) Is it an architectural faux pas? The house is not visible from the road, so the only people who will see it are friends and family. I often come up with unusual solutions, so a little reality check is need here!

Comments (17)