SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldgirl_gw

My progressives are finally right, fingers crossed :)

goldgirl
15 years ago

But I had to go somewhere else.

After many weeks, two different pairs of glasses (frames and lens models) and much frustration, I still didn't have progressives that worked. There was no "sweet spot" for anything and they actually made my eyes feel srained. The optician was going to make another pair using my old distance prescription (the distance in the new glasses was actually worse than my old ones), but the doctor intervened last week and said he wanted me to try them for a longer period of time. That did it.

So, I went back to the folks who made glasses for me about two years ago. Family business, have been doing this forever. (Didn't go there originally because I needed an exam with a medical doctor and the adjoining store had a better selection of frames.)

Sat with the owner for more than an hour explaining my sob story. He said the glasses had been done correctly and felt my distance prescription might still be off, even though my ophthalmologist had rechecked it.

So, I saw their optometrist, who did a long exam using the old metal contraption with interchangeable lenses that you put on like glasses. Ended up changing my distance prescription slightly after much back and forth between us. (I have astigmatism in both eyes, BTW.)

I even asked the owner if he was sure he wanted to give this a try given my bad history with progressives and he said it was extremely rare for them not to work out.

Got the glasses yesterday and it's like night and day. No problems except for the normal adjustment stuff - like learning to not look down while walking. The distance is crisp and clear. Will try out the reading more this week at work.

Now I have to decide how to handle the first place because I've got hundreds of dollars invested in a pair of glasses I can't use. I'm sure this will turn into a fight because they've already gone through two frames and two sets of lenses. I'm sure the doctor intervened because he didn't want to spend any more money on me.

Anyway, thanks for suggesting I not give up. It was worth the extra time and effort!

Sue

Comments (3)