SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rewok

Choosing shower faucets, heads and valves

rewok
13 years ago

We have (finally!) decided to renovate our basement bath, which is where we shower everyday. We only use the tub on the first floor to bathe. So I decided to reward us with a luxury bathroom, since I suffered the tiny peach downstairs bath for almost 10 years. We'll expand the room size in order to fit a 4x3 tile & glass shower, a small vanity, toilet, and possibly a linen cupboard.

I've already found a sink & faucet I love, now I'm looking at shower hardware. We want a thermostatic temperature & volume control, a diverter to control an overhead rainshower and a handheld with slide bar. I started looking at Kohler, because I loved a style that matched my Kohler faucet (Purist/Stillness), but found out I could get a similar style in Grohe (Atrio) for about the same (around 100$ on the total). By reading here, it seems like everyone prefer Grohe in term of quality. Is it really that much better? I mean, Kohler is pretty expensive, nothing like Moen, why is it so bad?

I've lined up the following items (after spending countless hours checking out Kohler, Grohe & FaucetDirect website to understand what I needed):

- thermostatic valve + trim with volume & temperature control

- diverter valve + trim

- rainshower head + ceiling arm

- handshower head

- slide bar, hose, and supply elbow

Is that all I need?

Should I get a 24" or 36" slide bar (2 average adults, but possibly kids in the future)?

Also, are ceiling arms from other companies compatible (same thread)? Because I see some 3" ones (none in Grohe), and those might work better, because our ceiling is 87" only, so with a 5-6" arm, the showerhead would be at 78", not bad for us (DH is 5'9), but for resale or very rare guests?

I know it's quite a long first post, and I probably have more questions to follow! I've never gotten out of talking to much. :)

Thanks!

Comments (10)