SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lyfia

Advice from those of you with children

lyfia
16 years ago

We recently found out we have a little surprise on the way, and after some thought we decided to put the building on hold as I'm the one with the construction knowledge and don't think I can do it highly pregnant and 90 miles away from the construction site. This is our first and we're not really sure what to expect and I'd rather worrying about managing my Type 1 diabetes for a healthy baby than building and not add any extra stress that is inevitable with building.

We've reverted to looking for a temporary and cheaper house to purchase (no decent rentals in this rural area so that option is out and no trailers allowed on the lot we purchased). What I'd like to get an idea is about when do you think after our baby is born that we might be ready to take on the build, or rather hire a GC to do the build.

I know there will be some adjustement as to how we live and I think we might even put the architect on hold and not do that as we may change how we want the floorplan to be. This is all new territory to us, but exciting as well.

I would really appreciate any advice as I'm trying to determine exactly what I can compromise on in our temporary house, which will depend on how long we will be there. We know it will be small. BTW we can't stay were we are at as DH and I are not in the same city during the week and we want to raise our child together.

Comments (17)