SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

I passed the test!

lpinkmountain
15 years ago

Today I have some GOOD NEWS to report. To my utter amazement and complete surprise, I PASSED the Pennsylvania Biology PRAXIS (teacher qualifying test) with flying colors!! Due to knowing some folks who had struggled with it, and not having studied very much due to two job interviews in July, I had zero expectations of passing, let alone doing well. I had signed up for it months in advance, so I took it because "nothing ventured, nothing gained." I was certain that I'd have to take it again, later, like next year. But instead I got my results today and I passed! That means I will not have to spend any more time and energy on that item of my "to do" list, and it means that I am one math test away from having my PA teacher certification, which will add another job skill to my repertoire. It also makes me feel pretty OK, that with a Masters degree in Biology Education, I can actually pass a biology test!! The alternative, flunking it, would have been rather a blow to my ego. Instead, I got some happy news which I could really use!

I do know biology, but the test was comprehensive and I have specialized in ecology, population biology and organismal biology. I don't know nothin' bout no humans!! (Well, I do know SOMETHING, but nothing compared to the course of study for a pre-med biology student.) I had to laugh when I told my biology teacher friend I had to guess on where the "Islets of Langerhans" were. I guessed they were in the testicles, as that was the only body part resembling an "island" that was on the multiple choice test! I should have known better! :)

Now I know they are in the pancreas, and it is their malfunctioning that causes diabetes. Pretty important information!

Now I can focus on taking the GRE again, which I did not do so well on the first time. I have to raise my analytical score. But that's for another day, right now I am teaching two college courses as an adjunct, so have to focus my energies there for a while.

Comments (21)