SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina73

Help me think through numbers for a cabinet-depth fridge

Katrina73
12 years ago

Hi all,

We are in the process of moving and will need to buy a refrigerator for our new place (If you saw my last post re: the height of the cut-out, that's been resolved -- we'll be getting a new cabinet above fridge to give us 72" to work with. Yay!).

We're now debating between cabinet-depth and standard depth. The kitchen is big enough to handle a standard-depth without flow issues, but we're thinking aesthetically, a cabinet-depth would look "prettier."

The depth of our fridge cutout is 28". I'm thinking the doors of the refrigerator will still need to remain in front of the cutout/cabinets, right? So the number we *really* need to know is the depth of the refrigerator case/cabinet, not its overall depth.

Now, we'd also like to have a water dispenser and and an icemaker. How much space do I need to allow behind the fridge for those connections? 1"? 2"?

I guess I'm just trying to get to the actual amount of space I have to work with. My guess is: I need a fridge with a depth (case/cabinet only, not counting doors or hinges) of around 26" in order to have a "cabinet-depth look." Does that sound right? And if you know off-hand, is that a standard depth in looking at refrigerators labeled as "cabinet-depth refrigerators"?

Thanks so much!

Comment (1)