SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lnhardin

Need input on house exterior

lnhardin
15 years ago

House build is going along beautifully and we are ahead of schedule - yea!! BUT, we are down to making final decisions about the exterior finish and we are stuck. Originally we planned to use a faux stone on the exterior. The covenants that (we thought) came with the house said no wood or frame buildings and I am not a fan of bricks. Then we learned how expensive the stone was and switched plans to a combo of stone and a cement siding, either to look like regular siding or stucco. The builder is saying that the stone will be about 36" up from the base and the rest siding.

The house is long and low, all 1 story except for a 2nd story (with a couple of guest rooms) just at one end. That story will be siding.While I love the look of stone I'm worried that the combo as planned will be too much horizontal and look like a stripe at the bottom of the house.

Our first decision is what colors - we are waffling between a Arkansa hackett type stone combined with a cedar look siding or a white limestone rock with a grey or grey green siding. Two totally different looks - one would be sort of Craftsman rustic and one would be pretty subtle and blend into the woods (I hope).

Now I find out the covenants expired years ago and we could just do the house all siding. I'm considering that as the 36" worth of stone I'm afraid will look like we wanted stone but ran out of money.

I would appreciate any input or (even better) pix of house exteriors with stone/siding combos. Oh, and no worries about matching or worrying about neighbors reactions. We are out in the country, only two houses even in shouting distance.

Comment (1)