SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pinktoes_gw

Telling lies and keeping secrets

pinktoes
16 years ago

Warning: This post may be morally offensive--saints should not read.

As a purely practical matter, I'm finding that I get along much better with most family and friends if I simply monitor how much information they get and, sometimes, how accurate it is.

At the end, family is going to ask how much our house cost. And although I have never asked them that question, they have no qualms about asking us. It's important to me to not have hurt feelings over this, so I'd rather deal in lies and secrets than give the real answer: "None of your business."

So, here's Reply #1: "Oh, I'm afraid to add it all up, there was the demolition/teardown cost; the architect, engineering and legal fees; the construction itself. We've decided we're happier if we just don't know ourselves!" [delivered with a laugh]

For those who press further, here's the followup, Reply #2: "I do have a rough idea but I promised DH to never tell him --don't want to give him a heart attack! And if he doesn't know, then I can't very well tell anyone else." [delivered seriously to the serious folks and with a laugh to the others, and to the ones with a real sense of humor "I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you."]

Yes, lies and secrets are always more trouble than the truth, but in this case the truth would result in a never-ending discussion of how much money we spent on our house. I don't want to hear it.

So, my question is, will this story fly? And, if not, do you have a better one for me?

Comments (33)