SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pricklypearcactus

Removing 8x8 1970s Tile Minimize Subfloor Damage?

pricklypearcactus
12 years ago

I have a small floor of 1970s 8x8 tiles that I believe to be ceramic with wide grout joints. What is the best method for removing the tile while minimizing damage to the subfloor in preparation for 16x16 ostrich gray slate/quartzite tile?

While I can't see exactly what's going on under the tile prior to beginning demolition, I think the tile is fairly thick (probably 1/4" - 3/8") and it appears to be set over a single layer of subfloor. Some carpet abuts the tile and I can push the carpet back slightly and feel particle board underlayment abutting and at the same elevation as the tile, which is why I think there's only a single layer under the tile.

On past projects I removed vinyl flooring and tile walls, but have yet to remove tile flooring. With the walls, I (while wearing protective gear obviously) used a large hammer and smashed the tile off of the walls and then smashed up and pulled down the old mortar, so there was not much preservation to be concerned about. And with the vinyl, I just removed the vinyl and underlayment using a circular saw (set at appropriate depth) and a pry bar and then replaced it. Will smashing with a hammer and prying with a pry bar and/or scraper leave the subfloor intact? Or is there a different technique?

I intend to lay down (per Ditra instructions) underlayment over the plywood and then Ditra before setting the stone tile. Obviously I want a solid base and do not want to be doing any major damage to the subfloor if possible. Any advice would be very welcome.

Thank you in advance.

Comments (5)