SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Please help with prep for tile and a washer dryer stack

enduring
10 years ago

Cross posting in Remodel Forum and the Bathroom Forum.

I would like to get a washer dryer into my bathroom remodel. I have space allocated. I will put an extra exhaust fan near the W/D set. The run for venting will be about 8' horizontal, 4 ' vertical down to the basement, and a total of 90 degree elbows x 2 or 3, I am assuming.

The room is 8x8'. The joist are 2x8 16" on center and 8.5' long. These joist sit on one exterior wall ledge and one load bearing wall, across the room, about 8.5' away, that is near the middle of the basement. The stacked set will be next to the center load bearing wall. The small house is clad in 1x6s (or what ever size), that they used to wrap houses a long time ago. The floor feels strong.

I will be putting porcelain tile down on the floor. My plan is to go with Ditra over SLC, over primed ply underlayment with warming wires, over ply subfloor, over old diagonal boards original to the house. I have used the deflectometer on the JB forum, and I'm clear to do ceramic tile with this floor joist system. I want to be sure that there is minimal vibration with the W/D set to avoid tile failure. I did a similar tile prep in my recently remodeled bathroom, except no cross bracing, but we added joist for 9" on center spacing. In that room I used stone and the floor is solid. In this new remodel project, adding joist is not an option because of the other utilities that are perpendicular to the joist. I could cross brace though. Another option is to look at the electrical and have the electrician move some stuff out of the way so we can add more joist like we did in the first bath remodel.

Questions:
1) How do I brace for the stacked set? I have asked this question before but I just don't remember the answer and can't find the thread.

2) Do I cross brace the whole room or just the area around where the W/D will set?

3) What spacing of cross bracing?

4) Regarding the ply subfloor over the 1x6 diagonals that are on the joists - Is 3/4 ply enough? Should it be exterior grade?

5) If I go with 3/4 ply for subfloor over the diagonals, do I need an underlayment of the 3/8 ply to mount my heating wires followed by SLC? Or, do I skip the 3/8 ply for the heating wires and go directly on the 3/4 ply with my wires and SLC?

Below is a thread I started last fall about the possibility of putting the W/D in the bathroom. Now I want to do this and need more information.

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: If I Where to Remodel Another Bath, Thinking W/D Too?

Comments (12)