SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
matt_r_gw

Contractor method of tile install - correct ?

14 years ago

I have a bathroom I gutted. It had a 1/2" plywood subfloor that was original to the home in 1963. The floor had the traditional tiles set in a 2 or 3 inch mud bed with metal mesh that looked like chicken wire. After all was removed, I installed 5/8" plywood on top of the existing 1/2" subfloor. So I now have a 1-1/8" thick floor.

Going forward, my plan was to install an electric radiant suntouch floor mat system. It is a small bathroom by the way, typical of run of the mill homes in that era.

The contractor that came to provide the tile estimate said he would do the following:

1)Prime the plywood floor with liquid latex. I asked what this was, and he said you buy it in stores in the tile sections in gallon containers. He said it would help seal the plywood and add better adhesion to the leveler.

2)Install the electric mat on top of the plywood.

3)Install plastic mesh on top of the electric mesh. I never heard of this plastic mesh before. Metal yes. But not plastic. He said he would not use metal on top of the mat.

4)Install self leveling compound over top of the plastic mesh and electric mat.

5)Tile

Does this sound like a correct install? I asked about the backer board systems, and he said the floor height could be an issue and his method would avoid the "step" at the door.

The plastic mesh was new to me.

I am not too concerned about a slight step at the door, or should I be? As long as it is a proper install.

Was I wrong in using the 5/8" plywood?

Comments (17)