SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plumorchard

Our 'Induction' Weekend - Portable/Painful!

plumorchard
13 years ago

We recently purchased a portable Fagor Countertop Induction unit for the dorm for our son.

This is the "countertop" burner shown on their website. (not the "portable" one) It was $99 on Amazon. It has 10 settings and the element is 10". It is a little bigger than we thought. I had seen the other model and thought it would be about the same. (control panels are different and pricing)

I took the opportunity to play around a little this weekend and here are a few observations based on our limited cooking activity.

First, woah! water boils really fast. It was noticeably faster than boiling water on the American Range. (I usually use the front right burner which is 17,000 btu - but not usually on high) I haven't figured out how this unit compares to the power levels of their built in units.

It didn't get hot around the unit at all. The area where the pan was does get hot but just standing there you don't feel heat.

The fan noise was noticeable. Sounded like the vent hood was on. I'm sure this is less noticeable if the unit is built in since it would all be underneath instead of on the counter. There was quiet little clicks and levels 1 and 2 where the unit cycled. That pretty much goes away at level 3.

Regarding the fan, one of the benefits listed for a portable unit is that you can use it keep food warm during festivities. The fan noise would be a distraction if this was an intended use. (For us anyway)

I had no noise at all from pans. I used cast iron, Chantal enamel, Berndes and a small nonstick Le Creuset fry pan. There was a little slide a couple of times but not enough that I would want to put something underneath.

The unit powers on at 5 and you use arrows up/down to get to where you want to be. No half settings. No boost.

There is a warning in the book for persons with pacemakers to keep a min of 2 feet from the unit while in operation.

It does have a timer and it was pretty handy.

You can lift and serve (or flip) what is in your pan if you can do it in 4 beeps. Not sure the timing here - but if you lift the pan the unit beeps 4 times and then shuts off. If you beat the beeps you just keep cooking/otherwise, you restart everything.

Wiping it clean was a breeze. The black finish does show the water marks but I just used a plain PT.

Started to show my son how fast the water boiled and started the power at 1 and went up to 5 and he immediately screamed AHHHH! and put his hands over his ears and ran from the room. (He is 18!) After chasing him down, he said there was an awful high pitch sound that he could hear. He could not hear it at 3 but started at 4 and 5 was unbearable. I heard nothing except the fan and the cycle on/off and the lower levels. So then I tested the noise on hubby. He barely heard the cycles and heard the fan, but did not hear the high pitch noise. My 12 year old could hear a high pitch whine at about 5-6 but it bothered him at level 8. So.....apparently there is some high pitched frequency going on here.

Which then made me curious, if we were ever to want to switch to induction we would have no true way of knowing if every unit had this same issue other than "listening" to them. Obviously we wouldn't want to bring something in to the house that caused pain, plus the kiddos couldn't use it to cook for themselves - (unless everything was at level 3!). Not sure there is a way to know if one model does this and another doesn't. Obviously, this gizmo won't be going to college this fall!

Aside from that, it was neat to play around with it a little and see what it could do. I can definitely see all the "pros" people have listed here for the technology. Boy, sure did clear the room in a quick way too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fagor Countertop

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!