SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

DS Smashes Hand, Has Surgery

triciae
15 years ago

Our DS had a 40' ladder collapse on his hand last Saturday (day before Easter). It was one of those multi-sectional ladders with a rope to lower each section. The rope broke. He was wearing leather work gloves but they were not enough protection. The paramedics had to cut the ladder to free his hand. They took him, by ambulance, 40 miles to a trauma-center hospital with a hand surgeon on staff. Multiple broken bones, the flesh was torn off, & just sorta hanging. I won't be any more graphic. We didn't know if amputation would be necessary for several hours.

Anyway, the trauma folks did what they could, got him started on antibiotics, & bandaged him up best they could. This morning, at 6:30 a.m., he had hand reconstruction surgery. I am soooo happy to say that it was a complete success!!! The surgeon expects him to make a full recovery. His pinkie will be a bit funky looking but what a small price compared to what might have been. He's going to be bandaged up for about 8 weeks.

Now, for my question. Our Easter dinner was cancelled, obviously. I made an ice cream cake...something new to me. I've wrapped it with plastic wrap & then foil. It's in the big freezer (set at zero). How long will this thing keep without developing an off taste like old ice cream? Will it keep for a few weeks until DS & family gets to Mystic or do I need to give it away???

Thanks,

/tricia

Comments (26)